Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
cjz96

My Bloodthirsty Valentine

Halfmoon Troubles; please help!
1. I have a young halfmoon (Valentine). The first day I brought him home his tank ended up leaking. I had to put him in a divided tank with my CT. He is a devious little fella. He seemed to have figured out how to maneuver the divider so he can fit through. He hasnít gotten to my other betta yet. Iím scared for my CT since heís little and canít defend himself. I put mesh around the divider. Does anybody have any ideas to stop him from getting through?
2. Heís extremely aggressive and fearless. He flares at everything (including thin air.) Is this normal?
3. Should halfmoons have a filter in their tank? Iím thinking about moving him to a smaller tank without a filter since heís biting his tail (or his tail is getting ripped off by the filter).
4. He's not eating. He hasn't eaten in a few days. Should I be worried? He won't even eat a bloodworm.
Thank you!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hmm...well the only way to stop him from getting though for sure is to silicone the divider in, but thats rather....permanent. Is it a store-bought divider or a homemade one? Any chance you could post a couple of pics?

Some fish are a little more feisty and aggressive then others....thats the beauty of bettas; no two fish are alike, they all have their own unique little personalities, lol. He may just be rather feisty.....it may take a bit longer then most bettas, but he'll probably eventually settle down a little.

If you would like to have him in a cycled tank, you can cover the intake with a bit of panty-hose and a rubber band or some filter sponge so his fins can't get caught in it. Its up to you if you want to have a filter or not then.

How long have you had him? Was he eating before and just suddenly stopped? Is he going for the food and spitting it out or just ignoring it completely?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hmm...well the only way to stop him from getting though for sure is to silicone the divider in, but thats rather....permanent. Is it a store-bought divider or a homemade one? Any chance you could post a couple of pics?

Some fish are a little more feisty and aggressive then others....thats the beauty of bettas; no two fish are alike, they all have their own unique little personalities, lol. He may just be rather feisty.....it may take a bit longer then most bettas, but he'll probably eventually settle down a little.

If you would like to have him in a cycled tank, you can cover the intake with a bit of panty-hose and a rubber band or some filter sponge so his fins can't get caught in it. Its up to you if you want to have a filter or not then.

How long have you had him? Was he eating before and just suddenly stopped? Is he going for the food and spitting it out or just ignoring it completely?
It is half a store bought divider and half homemade. I'm planning on getting him (and the CT) in a cycled 10 gallon divided tank. My LFS is renovating and the tank I ordered online is on backorder. :/ So they will have to stay cramped in a small tank for now. Maybe he's stressed due to frequent water changes and vacumming in the tank? I already put a sponge in the filter. He attacks the sponge all the time and gets his face sucked in. lol. He's the most aggressive fish I've had. I've spied on him when the room is empty and he flares and shows off even in the dark. Maybe he's practicing? I've had him for almost a week. He just looks at the food in disgust then swims away. I am going to try to get pics out soon.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 
DragonFish

The only option I can think of is to redo the divider with craft mesh; doubling(or tripling, if you want to be EXTRA safe)up the mesh will make it a little more stable if you cut the pieces right.

He could very well be a little stressed from all the moving and cleaning....some don't take it as well as others. Hopefully he'll settle down and get used to things eventually.

Lol, he seems just to be a more feisty/sensitive personality. Not much you can really do about that....xD
Keep a close eye on him if you plan to keep him in a divided tank long-term though. I find those sorts of personalities tend to not do very well in divided tanks.....sometimes they settle down after a while, and sometimes they just....don't.
Is the light on the tank on and the room dark sometimes? Hes probably flaring at his reflection then....my Mephisto goes a little nuts when I turn the lights off in my room and the tank light is still on xD

Well just keep offering him food, removing what he doesn't eat. You can try soaking pellets in some garlic juice, or even a couple different brands of pellets. Were the bloodworms you offered him freeze-dried or frozen?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 
cjz96

Pictures:
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #6 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
The only option I can think of is to redo the divider with craft mesh; doubling(or tripling, if you want to be EXTRA safe)up the mesh will make it a little more stable if you cut the pieces right.

He could very well be a little stressed from all the moving and cleaning....some don't take it as well as others. Hopefully he'll settle down and get used to things eventually.

Lol, he seems just to be a more feisty/sensitive personality. Not much you can really do about that....xD
Keep a close eye on him if you plan to keep him in a divided tank long-term though. I find those sorts of personalities tend to not do very well in divided tanks.....sometimes they settle down after a while, and sometimes they just....don't.
Is the light on the tank on and the room dark sometimes? Hes probably flaring at his reflection then....my Mephisto goes a little nuts when I turn the lights off in my room and the tank light is still on xD

Well just keep offering him food, removing what he doesn't eat. You can try soaking pellets in some garlic juice, or even a couple different brands of pellets. Were the bloodworms you offered him freeze-dried or frozen?
Lol. That might be it. Even when the lights are on, he just randomly flares. I have severe allegergies to wheat and shellfish. I (try) make my own food. I have been trying to tempt him with freeze dried bloodworms.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Yeah..I've had a couple of boys like that xD Very funny, lots of personality, but a bit of a handful sometimes, lol.

You could try frozen bloodworms....they tend to be a little more well-received then freeze-dried.

Hmm....if you can get a few fresh pieces of craft mesh and cut a couple to the same size to fit properly in there, it may work a little better. You can also scoot the marbles a little closer around the divider maybe to keep it a bit more stable? Thats all I can think of short of siliconing it in....
Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 
cjz96

Thank you! Lol. I have gotten the mesh. I do have it on there. I siliconed it onto the divider (didn't work out.) He lifts the divider up and scoots it to the side. Then tries to push himself through.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #9 
DragonFish

Lol! Oh my, what a clever little thing he is too!! Goodness xD
Well it looks good to me, hes just a little too curious/determined for his own good perhaps. Haha, probably not much more you can do expect watch him like a hawk until you an get their new tank. Best of luck!!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #10 
edk911

If you have tools go to the hqrdware store and buy perspex, opaque or coloured. Cut it to size for your tank or get the hardware shop to do it for you. Drill 10-20 5-8mm holes in a grid in the perspex and grab some tank divider suction pads from your lfs. Nothing is getting under or around that. All up should be less than $20.
edk911 is offline   Reply With Quote