Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 
otter

Talking Another sorority post!

hi there c:

I am going to start a sorority soon.. I have already posted about this but I feel like I need a bit more information. I am completely terrified that this will turn out to be a disaster :(

Okay so I have a beautiful 26gal bow front glass tank that comes with a really nice filter and heater!

In a few days I am going to go to the beach by my house and collect some rocks for decorations and some large sand for the bottom of the tank, and put the sand on top of a layer of soil ( I totally forget the name gosh, but its the special aquarium kind? agh I am blanking it right now)

Then I am going to get lots of plants and hiding places for the fish, let it cycle and wait some more for the plants to grow.. and then BAM I have to put the girls in!

I am planning on putting 6 females and 2 cory cats ( the cute spottes ones c: )

I already have 2 females.. one is really big and kind of tough because she is living in a 55 gallon with some gourami. She gets along with them but has taken a few tail bitings and now is pretty hardy, but I'm not sure how she will treat the other girls :/

The other female I have is in a 2 gallon vase, because I just bought her and didn't have anywhere to put her. The reason I got her was because my little sister fell in love with her and begged me to get her. She is the most adorable thing ever! But she is really small, so I am not sure if the larger female will pick on her or not.

I am going to buy my fish at petsmart, and I've noticed that the females are super small!! They even look like they're fry..almost. Probably a few months old.. so I am going to pick the biggest ones, but they still are small compared to my bigger female.

Is there anything that would be really helpful? Is there anything I am missing? If you have any advice help me please!
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Make sure you have a lot of hiding spaces and that all the fish are added at the same time probably would not use stuff from the beach so be careful with beach stuff do not forget high protein meaty foods.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #3 
Jupiter

Seems like you've got everything covered (plants and hiding spaces), but as a note...I don't think 2 corys will be enough, I believe they do better in larger groups. Fortunately, with only 6 females you'll have plenty of room to add more.

Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

The only thing I can think of is to ask if your tank is currently cycled? If it isn't set up yet or hasn't been set up for very long you'll want to read about cycling a tank so you don't lose any fish. If you do a fish IN cycle you'll need to have a liquid water test kit to test your water daily& do water changes as necessary- LOTS of water changes. You'll need to keep your ammonia <.5, nitrites <.5, nitrates <40 while it's cycling to keep your fish healthy & happy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #5 
otter

it is not cycled! because I am still figuring out where to put the tank! But I am not doing a fish IN cycle, because I am too lazy and I don't have that many test strips left :/

but thanks everyone for the advice :3
otter is offline   Reply With Quote