Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
Shaelene Sundlie

New tanks

I just bought 4 ten gallon tanks and a 5 gallon tank for some new additions to my family all tanks have a heater, sponge filter, and a canopy or light fixture i have black gravel but am looking for some cool themes and ideas on how to set them up. give me your ideas and once i'm done i'll post pics of my new tanks
Shaelene Sundlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

five 10gals at once? you're even more addicted than me!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 
Shaelene Sundlie

I love bettas so much and only have 1 right now so I wanted to get more :)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Awesome! I would be so excited...I can't wait to see them. As for themes...hmmm, I'd have to ponder that myself!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
Shaelene Sundlie

yeah i can't wait to go shopping for my new fish!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 
LittleWatty

Even I didn't jump in that fast XD That's enough room for 11 different fish - or more, depending on how many times you split your tanks! I thought I was bad, buying 5 fish and several tanks within two months. If I had the money and the room, I would definitely have jumped in as fast as you did!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

hmmm....bettas are asian in origin, so maybe some kind of zen garden-esque landscape? i know that japan is a long way from thailand, but there's a common thread there, if a thin one. if you have any favorite tv shows or movies, you might wanna take that into consideration. just remember: anything you put in the tanks must be either designed for aquarium use, clear-coated or made of PET-free plastics. NO METAL memorabilia or figures! also, anything you put in there should be free of sharp points or edges that could tear your bettas' fins.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #8 
Seki

Okay, so here are a few ideas. I get super excited about decorating tanks, so feel free to use anything or nothing I suggest. I won't be offended in the least if these ideas aren't your style!

1. A fully planted "natural" tank. Tons of greenery, and a few little terracotta pots for caves.

2. A NEON tank! Bright, neon gravel, funky neon plants, color caves with bright flowers on them.

3. Japanese garden tank. Get some nice, dark gravel and then some nice bright blue gravel. Put some traditional Japanese bridges in there for the fish to play with and hide under, and fill the bottom with the dark gravel. Meander a wide strip of blue gravel through the tank and have the bridges "over" the blue gravel to make it look like they are passing over water! If you'd like, put a Japanese stone lantern in there as well.

4. A "lunar" tank! Black or grey gravel sprinkled with white. A backdrop of the moon and lots of cool, blue plants. Put a little alien figurine in if you want to! LOL Add some traditional stone caves, make some "craters" here or there in the gravel.

5. Year of the Dragon tank! There is an AWESOME stone dragon with an airstone that I think is fairly large. It could be the centerpiece of the tank and you could put colorful red accents around the tank that keep with the Chinese theme. Black and red gravel, and if you can manage to get a fireworks backdrop? Ohhhh, that would be so cool!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

one thing to remember: if you use black gravel, you should use it with brightly-colored bettas, because darker ones will tend to just fade into the background. our black gravel tank currently has a bright blue and red betta, and will probably have a green or purple one (my fiance's favorite colors, and she's picking out the next one) once it's divided. a black or chocolate fish wouldn't show up very well, and while it wouldn't hurt your soggy friends, it'd make it a lot more difficult for YOU to enjoy your time with them if you have to hunt to find them every time.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #10 
Shaelene Sundlie

Thanks for all your ideas i have been saving my money for a little while and am putting sturdy shelves on the wall for the tanks otherwise there would be no room for them i love the ideas especially the japennese garden one you guys are great i'll post pics once i set up the tanks in the mean while keep the ideas coming i love them and thanks to every one who has replied :)