Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 
Swag Heroine

Exclamation Betta fish is sick? Torn fins and colour loss

I've had my betta fish, Eugene, for a few months now. Before yesterday, I was changing his water once every month because that was what the pet store manager told me...Now I know better.
I regret putting him through so much stress. I did a 100 % water change yesterday and cleaned everything in his tank. He has torn fins. His colour has also become dull (he used to be a very bright metallic green. Now he is blackish grey.)
I am very worried and I want him to get better as soon as possible. I know I am at fault and I want to try everything to correct it.
I have a 2.5 G tank with a heater, so the temperature is somewhere around 78-80. I removed the filter since it had such a strong current and took up half the tank. I feed him pellets twice a day (4 pellets in a day). I also put aquarium salt in the water along with a conditioner that has stress coat.
If I continue to do 100% water changes every other day, will his colour come back and will his fins grow back? I just want him to be healthy again.
Swag Heroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #2 
kissablepenguin

Your betta has lost color due to severe ammonia poisoning. This happens when you don't change his water for a month. :[ I'm glad you know better now, the best thing you can do is do partial water changes every couple days. Consistent 100% water changes is too much stress every few days. You want to keep his environment as clean as possible without pushing him over the edge. Though he's in a frail state, you may be able to get him back to health, but there's defiantly no guarantee about the color. If the torn fins, fin rot, hasn't reached his body and become too severe, he may be able to grow them back out, though he will never nearly be as beautiful as before. You can treat him with a combination of gram negative and gram positive bacteria medications like Maracyn and Maracyn Two that you can pick up from the petstore. Follow the instructions and you may be able to improve his situation. You can follow up by adding aquarium salt until he gets better. As for the ammonia poisoning, there's not much you can do but wait it out and keep his water clean. Best of luck to you!
kissablepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 
Swag Heroine

Thank you so much !!!
Swag Heroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great advice and only use the AQ salt for ten days, any longer could harm him. Good luck I hope he heals !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, colour loss, sick, torn fins, water change