Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

how to travel with tank

1.I'm leaving in a week back to college and I don't know how to bring my tank over. It will most likely be kept on someone's lap, so I don't have to worry about it sliding or breaking. I do NOT have any test strips, but I can get some in a few days when I go out. When I set up the tank, I'm not putting Pudge in until the parameters are good enough. Until then he's going to go back into the 1 gallon Kritter keeper. How exactly should I set up the tank to make sure the bacteria doesn't die in the trip? I also, would it do more harm or good if today and next week I throughly wash out the marbles in the tank?

2. The filter was shut off yesterday after an incident the night before. I turned it back on last night, but should I be cautious of anything going wrong today with the water parameters?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 
registereduser

I'm not sure but I think I have read that as long as you keep the filter media wet during the move it won't die.

I would give the whole tank a clean except for the filter, just keep that in a container of fish water (not the whole filter but the media). Then when you get to the new place, set it all up, install filter asap and test water every day until you feel secure with the readings.

When I got the 6 gallon I put some dirty gravel from the cycled tank into the filter in a mesh bag and the tank cycled almost immediately!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Thanks! :3

What part of the filter is the media? The one with the suction?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #4 
Assault0137

carbon, sponges, that kind of stuff
Assault0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

The BB start to die in 6 hours, how long is the trip? The BB have 6 hours to live without food, oxygen, and pressure. So is the trip more than 6? Just keep the media in a cup of tank water so the clock starts ticking. Test strips are really inaccurate so don't get those. I had a pH strip and it said my pH was 6.5. It's actually 7.6. :\ Because of the API master kit, I know the BB is growing. ;) Does your college have a different company to get their water from than your house? The parameters will definitely be different. Washing the marbles would probably kill the BB so I don't recommend that.

How long was the filter shut off? The BB can die... J
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

The trip is 45 minutes.

And I have no idea about the water... I believe it has to be different because when the power goes out, the water doesn't stop, unlike where I live (we lose our water if the water goes out)...

And I don't think I have monet for a test kit. My dog is going to the vet soon to get a biopsy on a lump, and we haven't done ANY back to school shopping yet for either myself or my sisters (I go back in a week too Dx)

Unforuntately, I have to go with the strips because they're a lot cheaper :/

And the filter was off for about 18 hours I guess... but everything was still in the tank, nothing was moved around. I wasn't home most of yesterday so I rememered to shut it on, and did so immediately.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

There's probably ammonia in the tank right now. :\ Do a 80% change and wash the filter in tank water. Strips won't really work, it's a waste of money. I'm sorry about your dog. Acclimate Pudge and Buddha very slowly once you get there. Test the water at the pet store, it's free. I don't know how to handle a filter with dead BB, sorry. :\
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #8 
registereduser

wow, 18 hours is a long time

Is there a lab or biology building at your school? Maybe there are established tanks somewhere on campus where you can get some BB already flourishing?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

No, there isn't :/

Its all the stupid suction cups fault Dx they popped off which caused the filter to fall in.

Would it be harmful if I was to just do a water change now and then just continue with that I've been doing? Pudge doesn't look sick or anything....

Buddha is in his own tank now, but Pudges is packed up already since I'm not using it...I can always get it, but I really don't want to wait for so long again.