Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Now that the tank size and plants are known....As you know the mondo grass isn't aquatic and I suspect that is the reason for the smell, murky water and the look of debris floating around. Your aquarium shouldn't have a bad or strong smell-It should have a clean or no smell.

I would remove all the mondo grass-don't wait for the snail to eat it-then vacuum really good and deep all over-Re-fill and do it again.....
Since you don't have a filter and for a 10gal- I would get a sponge filter at least or cram it full of true aquatic plants-but you will need the proper lights otherwise they will slowly rot, die and foul the water just as the mondo grass did.

In a 10gal without a filter and with a few thriving rooted plants-stocked with a single Betta and a snail-water changes of 50% 1-2 times a week.

Without thriving rooted plants-50% 1-2 times a week and 100% monthly

With a sponge filter, with or without thriving plants-50% weekly to maintain water quality....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #12 
Pogthefish

Yeah, I was just abput to say the plants were what I thought it was. Also, there will be some poop left after you vacum the gravel, but thats what garvel s for, to keep it out of the fish's way, lol!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote