Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #11 
JenPezzotti

she has been under a lot of stress

Thanks I will keep an eye on her. Getting ready to clean her out again. She has had a really stressful start. I don't know how long my nephew had her in that dirty water. His ex-girlfriend had dumped the poor fish out on the floor when they were fighting and my nephew had just put the fish back in tap water. So the poor little girl is a survivor. Trying to give her as good a life now as I can.
JenPezzotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Wow....tough lady....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #13 
JenPezzotti

It is a 1/2 gallon she is really small. I zoomed in on her to get close up of her body. A filter sounds like it may be trouble. Is it better to have a bigger tank for them? I will definitely leave her in this so she can adjust. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, a bigger tank is better. But you should just upgrade once treatment is done so it's easier for you and your fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

As long as you can maintain a somewhat stable temp in the half gallon-I would keep her in the tank you have her in long term or until she grows more.
If you have any live plants-add them-live plants are always good....

I would only make partial water changes at this stage and leave her in the tank-less stress the better. Try not to overfeed and remove any uneaten food within a reasonable time.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #16 
Aus

Java moss is a good plant to add to smaller 'hospital' tanks. It's proven to reduce ammonia buildup (not that there should be any, but still it helps keep the water nice) and doesn't mind lower/natural light. My little stunted guy (has never thrived) loves to sleep in his moss, and my female often 'fights' with it, as if she's playing in it.

You have a really nice little crowntail there. These fish really are incredibly tough.. sounds like yours has been through the mill and how. I hope she recovers now she's in better conditions.

The bubbles are pretty normal - even females will blow bubbles that stay on the water surface (especially in unfiltered tanks), though it's the males which make the spectacular bubble nests.

Clean, warm water and good protein-rich food (the mosquito larvae OFL suggested are brilliant) will do a lot to help this little one on her raod to recovery. Don't be surprised if she puts on a growth spurt after a few weeks of decent living conditions, though some fish exposed to terrible ammonia and waste early on never do grow properly and sometimes have ongoing health issues. My stunted fish will never be 'quite right' but we've kept him in the best health we can for six months now and he is as happy and healthy as we can make him. Of course, he is much loved.

Watch how this little fish captures your heart. Bettas are pretty special that way. =)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #17 
JenPezzotti

Thanks for all the help will go pick up some live plants tomorrow for her. And will do the partial changes. I really appreciate all the help! I really want this little girl to survive.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #18 
acadialover

HOw wonderful she ended up with you ! I think once you have a Betta, you always want to have one or tow or three..... lol...
Please keep us posted.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #19 
JenPezzotti

She seems to be doing good.

Thanks everyone. I took this picture last night her belly doesn't seem to be so bloated looking. And today she looks even better. She is so sweet - and has definitely gotten into my heart. Every time I walk in the room she swims up and takes a look at me. I feel bad that she is on the warm porch and not getting much interaction with the humans but I don't want to bring her in the air conditioned rooms. As soon as it gets a little cooler out and we stop using the air I will put her on my desk so she can get a lot of interaction. I didn't feed her yesterday and now I am wondering if she was just stressed and constipated. Will get another picture of her tomorrow. She is just a sweet heart. This one was taken last night.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #20 
KevinPham123

I would recommend to get her to eat pellets. If she won't eat it at first, don't feed her for 2 days. This will not stress her out or cause any other issues, instead, it will be beneficial for her in this state. It will allow for her to finish digesting any other foods on her system. Betta pellets should be the staple diet while other foods like bloodworms or mosquito larvae should be a 1 to 2 times a week treat thing. Also get at least a 3 gallon tank with a heater and use water conditioner every time you do water changes.

Hope she gets better.

Last edited by KevinPham123; 08-22-2012 at 08:43 AM.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote