Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 
labloverl

Well, the internal filter I'm using in the 5 gallon doesn't seem to be breaking the water enough because there's a dusty looking film on the water. I can't raise the filter up, but could I do a small water change to kinda refresh the water? (if I put a fish in) It's been sitting up for close to a week now I guess. Is there a chance I've messed this up by not having an ammonia source soon enough?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

What kind of internal filter are you running?

Bacteria can live for a week without food. They don't really die right away; they sort of go into hibernation. If you get an ammonia source in there, they'll revive in a couple of days.

What does your test kit read?

This should be easy, LL. You're starting with seeded media. That's half the battle.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-22-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #13 
labloverl

I believe it's a marina i25

My test kit (strips) say everything's in order. (0,0, and less than .25) Now before you tell me that I really need the drop test kit... I know. I know. When I started out with my 10 gallon, that's all I could find at the time without having to order it, so I just got the strips.

I know, it really should be easy. I just have to make it difficult lol. I started it all without knowing there HAD to be an ammonia source. Don't know why, but I didn't. I don't have pure ammonia, and I just figured that I could do it with fish food if I had to.

Thank you so much for helping!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #14 
labloverl

Just wanted to add that the dusty film on the water is also slimy. It doesn't break easy at all, and it's almost a white-ish color.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've heard that called a protein film. I don't know anything about it There are threads around, it's not uncommon. Or ask in 'tanks and habitats.'
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #16 
labloverl

I was able to get most of the film off with a paper towel, but the water still feels slimy.

Yesterday I put pellets in and tested the water today. I know I have strips, but everytime I test, the ammonia is at 0. I think there was one time when it was a little higher, but I don't remember when that was. Should've written it down. But anyways, today the ammonia says 0. I've put tropical flakes in today and put enough in for a few small fish.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #17 
labloverl

Tested ammonia again, at it was 0. Put more flakes in, probably too much, but will check again tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #18 
labloverl

Parameters still stay the same. I'll wait a few more days before putting a fish in though.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It takes a while for the flakes to rot and produce ammonia. I thought you had some fish to put in there as an ammonia source.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #20 
starrlamia

since you dont really have test kits, was your 5 gallon cycled properly? It could take weeks to get your cycle complete.
Go to a hardware store and ask for pure ammonia, you can use this as your ammonia source. If you did in fact seed your tank properly you may not get ammonia readings, seeing as you would have the correct bacteria already in your tank, you really need to invest in liquid nitrite and nitrate tests.
You can also buy liquid to seed your tank, I have had good results with seachem stability.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote