Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #1 
Houkou Tsuki

Brand new baby betta

Yep, another PetCo baby, I'm sure you've all seen them by now! What can I say, he/she is a cute little thing.
I just set up Ichigo's old 5 gallon for the new arrival and I'm eager to raise it to adulthood. The pictures don't serve it much justice. He/she is white with a nice blueish purple shimmer. Looks like a regular run of the mill VT to me, but I'm not quite sure. As small as it is, I have no idea on gender either. Its about a inch long right now. Any ideas?
Names will decided as I get a feel for its personality, just as it happened with my other three bettas.
Attached Images

Houkou Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Omg...do they really sell them that young at Petco?! It's just a bitty little thing...

Regardless, super cute.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 
Houkou Tsuki

Yeah... Little thing is almost microscopic! Kinda upsets me that its so small, but I'm going to do what I can. I've raised juveniles before, but never anything this tiny! I'll be frequenting here for tips and advice to make sure this little one makes it to adulthood.
Right now, it seems to be very healthy. Its very active and follows me around the room just like the big boys do.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

I saw some at petco that were the length of the tip of my index finger total...about 3/4inch!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #5 
Joelouisvachon

It must be sad to see tiny little fry in those dirty, dark cups... or did the fry get placed together, considering they're pretty young?
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Adorable tiny guy/girl ! I wonder if there is starting to be a demand for baby Betta. Its okay I guess for people who know how to care for them but think of the people who will not know about the care of a baby.

Is he/she eating yet and what are you going to feed ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #7 
Houkou Tsuki

Each little baby was in his or her own little filthy cup. They had their own display beside the adults, marketed as "A great first pet!"

As for food, the little one is way too small to have the adult's pellets. I offered a cut up frozen blood worm last night, but no go. It just spat it right back out. It seemed interested though. On their display, they sold micro pellets. I don't remember the brand, but even they looked a little too large, and were probably junk anyway. Being said, I'm going to go over to my LFS today before work and see if they have any frozen baby brine shrimp.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 
Silverfang

You could try some baby fish food. Ask your LFS if they have anything that might fit the bill. NLS grow has been a great go for youngish girls I've gotten.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

I use the NLS and just crush it up. My baby loves it, she is pretty small to, and when its crushed she can it well. Speaking of which its her lunch time.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 
Houkou Tsuki

No NLS at my LFS, I may have some shipped though.
Right now, the little one is getting frozen brine shrimp cut into small pieces. Its handling it really well and seems to be loving it!
It'll be a week tomorrow since bringing it home. Gender is still unknown, but the blue iridescence has really intensified. It could be because its happier being out of that cup, or its trying to be blue.
Kinda still looks like a VT though, could be wrong.