Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
Nuttawet

What do betta eat? Do betta eat cricket?

Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 
Jupiter

A cricket wouldn't fit in a betta's mouth...

However, they are carnivorous. I've heard some members feed their bettas fruit flies occasionally. You can also give them things like bloodworms or brine shrimp, but a regular diet of pellets is recommended, using the other things as treats.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttawet View Post
I believe that crickets might be too large for them to eat. I may be mistaken. Most pet bettas, when properly taken care of, eat about 80% high quality pellets or flakes that are labeled for betta fish and 20% frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or live foods such as certain types of worms. I've never fed live foods, but I know they can eat banana worms and micro worms.

Pellets are better than flakes, but whether you feed flakes or pellets make sure that the first ingredient is some kind of fish/shrimp. Hikari brand has the very best frozen foods, in my opinion, because they are very sanitary and are the least likely to give your fish worms.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 
Nuttawet

The smallest cricket is what i'm talking about, can betta eat smallest cricket?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 
MollyJean

There are a few things you have to think about, a few risks too.

How big is the cricket? If it's like.. fruit fly sized (About the size of a sesame seed) you can try it, but watch him eat it, and if he has trouble, remove it. If it's larger he runs the risk of choking.

Is this a wild caught insect? Wild insects can bring bacteria and parasites into your fish tank and make the fish sick. I wouldn't feed a betta anything caught in the wild.

Also, something like crickets are not a full time food. He'll still need good pellet food as a regular, daily food source, and things like bloodworms, flightless fruit flies and such should only be a sometimes snack, no more then once a week, if that.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #6 
Nuttawet

The cricket is the smallest size from Petco. Can i feed the smallest size cricket from Petco?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #7 
MollyJean

I don't have a petco anywhere near me to look.

Seeing as it is petco live food, you could try one, but watch it very closely and be ready to take it out of the tank if it's too big.

I like frozen bloodworms, personally.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttawet View Post
The cricket is the smallest size from Petco. Can i feed the smallest size cricket from Petco?
No. Even the small crickets from PetCo are too large. Your betta would likely choke to death, or just not pay it any attention.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #9 
kfryman

He is talking about pinheads which are baby crickets and are tiny. I don't see a problem besides it is from Petco and Petsmart and there is always dead crickets in there, so they aren't the healthiest to feed. Just pick up a good pellet.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
He is talking about pinheads which are baby crickets and are tiny. I don't see a problem besides it is from Petco and Petsmart and there is always dead crickets in there, so they aren't the healthiest to feed. Just pick up a good pellet.
+1

If you really want to see him eat a cricket that badly, I would rinse the cricket off first...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote