Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
Puddles402

How much to feed new baby betta? And how hot is too hot?

Last night I bought a tiny baby betta at Petco. I had been thinking about it for a while, and reading tons and tons of forum posts, and I finally decided to take the plunge. I ended up with a super tiny little white/translucent guy (or girl?!) who I'm calling Tidbit. I got the smallest one because I wanted to see his/her full transformation from baby to adult! I know it's going to be more challenging to take care of than my adult betta, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

The only thing I wasn't really able to figure out from all the forums I read- is HOW MUCH baby bettas need to eat?! I bought these Hikari Micro Pellets, which Tidbit has NO problem eating. They are so small. I gave him a crumbled up daphnia, too, which he liked.

I just don't know how much I should be feeding him?! The micro pellets are basically teeny tiny specks on my hand, but they swell to a more visible size once in the water...

I feel like maybe giving me three of the micro pellets for lunch, and then one crumbled up daphia for dinner, would be good? I'm also going to be experimenting with freeze dried bloodworms and mysis- I will of course be crumbling those up into super tiny pieces!

Also- does anyone here know what water temperature would be considered TOO warm? I just bought a mini heater but you can't set the temperature and I don't the water to get too warm (especially since my tank is on the smaller end of what size tanks the heater is compatible with).

Right now the water temp is at 75. Earlier in the day it said 70. I got nervous that it was only at 70, so I ran out and bought the heater. I haven't put it in the water yet, but I think I will soon and just monitor the temperature super closely all night...

Any other tips on how to care for this little guy would also be great. :)

Thanks!
Puddles402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 
NeoViking

I think I know the heater you mean, it automatically goes to 26c right?
That should be absolutely fine!
26c is a good temp for a betta (:
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #3 
Puddles402

It's this one! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12315584
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #4 
Puddles402

And it says the temp it goes to will depend on the room temperature, and the size of the tank. Like- if my room temp was 72F and my tank was 1/2 gallon it said it would go to 85- well my room temp was like 75 last night so I was afraid it would get too hot!

I'm moving him to at least a 1 gallon tonight or tomorrow and I think the heater will be safer to use then. :)
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #5 
NeoViking

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/an...s2/p/betta.htm
I just found this for you.

Personally I've always kept mine between 26-27c but according to that anything from 24-30 is acceptable (though probably not preferable)
I don't think your heater will harm the fish, just remember to introduce him nice and slowly in a bag to acclimatise him to the new temperature (:
Most aquatic shops are happy to let you just have a bag if you don't already have one. about 15 minutes+ is fine.

If you find the little guy doesn't look comfortable then maybe look into getting a heater you can adjust the temperature on like maybe an interpet heater (unslightly but reliable) otherwise it sounds as though that heater should be alight.
I'd probably check the temperature of the water before putting him in though to make sure it's not above 30c.
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #7 
Puddles402

Thanks for the info! I'm still nervous to use the heater though. :/ He has been doing SO good so far!!

Any ideas on how much to feed him? That baby betta page is saying 2-3 times/day but I don't know how much at a time?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles402 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm still nervous to use the heater though. :/ He has been doing SO good so far!!

Any ideas on how much to feed him? That baby betta page is saying 2-3 times/day but I don't know how much at a time?
sorry i dont know an actual amount. maybe estimate roughlt how long he is and ask in the breeding section? if you get an adjustable heater that has a thermostat, it will stay at the set temp and turn off when needed and turn on wen needed. theres nothing scary about one of those heaters. its bad for betta fry to be in cooler temps, and weakens their immune system.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9 
megaredize

i am using that same little heater in Bluey's QT tank right now and its been holding steady at 80. u will need a thermometer to make sure there are no large fluctuations. my QT tank is 1.5 gallons
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 
Puddles402

So if it gets to 85 will that be too hot for him do you think?