Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 
Koda

Algae/Moss stuff on my new Anubias

So I got this Anubias a few days ago and it had this moss like stuff on it when I bought it and had hoped that just rinsing it off would remove it. I was wrong, but luckily I hadn't planned on adding any critters to the aquarium until at least Sept 8th.
Is there any way I can get rid of the moss stuff? Right now the only living things that's in the tank is this anubias, wisteria, some babies from my java fern in another tank, and a few aponogeton bulbs. They are in an un-cycled 5 gallon tank with a 10w florescent bulb and a running filter (although I need a new one, it's too strong). I'd rather not get any snails (I don't want to worry about their population and they kind of creep me out), but if that is really my best option I'd consider them as long as I could easily get them all out before I add my fish (I'll probably give them to my brother for his goldfish).

Here's my anubias:
Attached Images

Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
JackisLost

looks like hair algae. just take it under the faucet and rub leafs between your fingers and get rid of them, then watch how long you turn on your lights
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 
Koda

After rubbing it more, most of the hairy stuff is gone, but the leaves still have the dark green dots (best seen in the first picture). I'm hoping that'll go away with time as long as I make sure the lights are only on 8 hours?
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
JackisLost

8 hours is the general target for any aquarium. if you leave it on for 9 hours with no excessive algae, then by all means give the plant more light. just find a good balance, 8 is good starting point. i think the green dots indicates that the plant was damaged somehow and is now stained, i'm not sure about what i said though. it gives the leafs more character and history, just make sure it doesn't occur on your new growth :) if it does, i'd ask more seasoned planted people. GOOD LUCK!
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote