Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 
Orito

Exclamation My fish bowl...

Is it bad, okay, or good? After reading some things on this site I'm going to assume it's bad, but I honestly don't know...

I grew up with my parents having a betta that was kept in a jar (like a jam jar), and always thought that was correct. So when I got my own betta, whose name is Entei by the way, I didn't get a super small bowl, but I got lower medium size. Let's just say, I was taken in by Walmart's boxing.

Now, I've successfully moved from South Dakota to Kansas, and brought Entei with me. Was a bit worrisome, but worth it. I bought him a new bowl. It's a 1 gallon from Walmart. [ LINK ] Unfortunately, after a week, my blue LED's are out (the ones I liked, go figure), and I'm not sure if Entei is happy or not. I know, there's no real way to know if they're happy, but I'm worried.

Originally I bought a filter, modified it, and had it in there. I was worried because Entei pretty much swam around the bowl all day, when he usually made bubble-nests back in SD. So, I did a 100% water change just a half hour ago, took the filter out (it barely fit anyway), and he's chilling at the top of the bowl. I can't tell if he's gulping for air, or if he's trying to make a bubble nest.

I'm attaching a picture of the bowl before I removed the filter.

Any help or advice would be appreciative. I am on a bit of a budget, so I can't go crazy, but I want to make sure Entei is happy too.
Attached Images

Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

He could just be stressed from the change.

I'm fine with 1 gallons as long as the fish are getting the tank cleaned often and if it's not overly crowded :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 
Orito

I just took the top off, he kinda looks like he's breathing hard... Should I take him out, and redue the change, or let him adjust?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
Purple

I have the exact tank for my elderly halfmoon. My female that I used to have in that tank needed a larger tank because of her energy level, so if your fish isn't very energetic it's fine.

I also have that exact plant in one of my other tanks. My fish tore his fin on it a few times, but I left it in and he stopped getting torn fins, so... Yeah. :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

It could be ammonia poisoning, if I'm right...

Do you have a water tester?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 
Orito

I do not, unfortunately. Is there any other way to tell, Alcemistnv?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

I think he's just stressed from the move...low or no light...he'll be fine. I have two of my male bettas in 1g bowls. As long as the water is clean and warm. Do you know the temp of the water, and are you using a water conditioner?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I think he's just stressed from the move...low or no light...he'll be fine. I have two of my male bettas in 1g bowls. As long as the water is clean and warm. Do you know the temp of the water, and are you using a water conditioner?

+1

I'd either go with stress, or ammonia. Ammonia could be possible because the tank is small. But do you know the tank temp. and how ooften do you clean the tank?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #9 
Orito

@Bettanewbie60
I use the Premeasured tablest in the Aqua Culture Betta Care Kit. It treats tap water up to 2 gallons.

@Alcemistnv
I clean and do a water swap twice a week. Once on Sunday (today), and again on Wednesday.

@Both
I do not know the water temp, I know it's slightly warmer right now then what I normally keep it.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 
Orito

I'm going to be up most of the night watching him. I have him in no light conditions right now. Guess I'll update with the good, or (heaven forbid) the bad news tomorrow morning.