Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
Aahnay

Smile When your new Bettas arrive ? (us shipped)

Do you QT them (how long) or just add to the tanks?

Think add a new male to a divided tank?

Id guess you would qt them with some leaves to help unstress them, but I really dont know. If you do, what size tank is 'ok' 1 gallon? 3/4 gallon? LOL, a cup?

And lights? keep them more in the dark?

OH perhaps I can put the two new ones in a small divided tank (4gal I think) since they come from the same breeder? Male female, can they go in that tank together? its heated and filtered etc.

I could pick up some tubs too, but i only have one extra filter just now, no extra heaters, but could buy one....

Ok thanks very much. I thought I had it all planned, but now, i realize i was just making it up in my head!
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
Sakura8

If your fish are coming from the same breeder, you can put them into a divided tank together without a QT period as long as you acclimate them carefully. If you want to put a new fish in with an old fish in a divided tank, I would definitely QT them in at least 1 gallon of water. A really handy QT container are small shoebox size Sterilite containers from Wal-Mart that hold about 1.65gals of water (I think the box says something like 22 liters). Any plastic storage container like that works great for QT and hospital tanks. If you don't mind changing the water twice every day, you can QT in an 8 cup Gladware container. I've done that too.

When you first get the fish, open the box in a dark room so as not to shock them. Gradually brighten the room to normal light. Acclimate carefully because the water could be very different from your water. Once they're acclimated, treat them as you would any fish. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #3 
Aahnay

Sakura, and 'hugs' !

I have a couple of the shoeboxes, they also make great cat boxes if need to qt the cat, lol.

How long would you say to keep them separate before adding the new male, to the old males divided tank? Couple weeks? or one week? Thanks again
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I would keep them separate for a week but I know most experts say it's best to QT fish for a whole month. I've never QTed anything that long, I just don't have the patience for it. A week would be fine as long as the new male isn't showing any signs of illness. Probably the only thing you'll really need to watch out for are parasites, both internal and external.

In fact, what you could do is acclimate him to your water for a few days and then add 1 tsp of salt per gallon for a few days, then back to normal water for a few more days. After that, he should be safe to add.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #5 
Basement Bettas

I like a QT of 3 weeks. Give things a chance to manifest. That said any fish I have not bred does not enter my barrack system. They are jarred till they die. And any of my own I'm not sure about get beannies as well. Velvet can present pretty quick with stress of shipping and it spreads quick. Stuff like hex takes a bit longer. I like the bare bottom containers as can see feces. Want to see regular amount out to correspond with what goes in. And if should be fairly firm for a few days. during that time they get eyballed a lot looking for any fungus, lesions, ratty fins. A pinch of salt can help build a slime coat to ward off anything. But I don't add much and I don't use it as a matter or course or to treat anyting.

I also feed metronidazole for 3 days and I'm not above a pp dip [potassium permanganate]. This can kill or severely burn so best not used as a matter of course. If the weather was up and down during shipping a little copper in the water can ward off velvet with that salt. Might do that 3 days as well. If there is any fin damage watch for fungus.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I think with bettas, QTing isn't quite as important as with other communal fish or with a breeding setup like BB's. For the vast majority of us, the bettas will be kept in their own tanks and the only concern we have is not cross-contaminating with equipment. But if you had a tank full of expensive discus and you didn't QT your new purchase, you could lose thousands of dollars in a week. Same with a breeding setup like BB's: one sick fish can wipe out years of blood, sweat, and tears. And the maddening part is often the culprit is the only one left alive.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 
Aahnay

Thank you, way back when I never qt new fish, they just went in the community tanks. I never had any loss, I must have been very very lucky! Used to buy from sears in seattle, was the same place my father got his from, lol.

If you put them in 1 gal jars, do you heat and filter them? Seems like there wouldnt be enough room for the fish, or a plant :)

Yes, I understand how not qt could be a disaster! I just have one male now.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 
Aahnay

The ones Im getting are 3 mos. Cant recall if you can do both salt and the leaves.. ill hunt for it. =)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #9 
Sakura8

AQ salt and IAL? Yes, I believe you can.