Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 
faildog

A picky eater? Or is something else wrong?

So, this is the first time posting here and the first time in about 10 years that I've taken care of a beta fish. Only this time I'm taking care of three! :'D Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

All three betas (two delta tails, one twin tail) share a 7 gallon tank with dividers in between them. They each have a litter more than 2 gallons to swim around in and plenty of fake plants to hide in with some mini duckweed floating at the top. Their tank is kept at about 76 degrees with a submersible heater.

One of my deltas, Haru, had mild fin rot when I bought him (which was about two weeks ago). He recovered rapidly for the first few days in quarantine but had a relapse when I went on vacation. Apparently during the whole time that I was gone he hadn't eaten any food and the uneaten food was left to sit at the bottom. (I told my brother to take out the uneaten food but he obviously didn't >___>)

When I came back on Friday, I did a full water change, fasted all of the betas on Saturday and tried to feed them today. My twin tail and other delta tail ate/ eat like pigs while Haru, on the other hand, doesn't touch any of his food.

When I dropped a pellet in front of Haru, he circled it once, examined it and then swam away. I left the pellet in there until it sank behind the heater. Which I then attempted to fish out (hah pun) for about 10 minutes with a turkey baster. I have tried to feed him a few times more, each time ending with the same result.

I feed my betas pellets and take out any uneaten food manually (which is a rather tedious task because the pellets blend in with the gravel and sometimes disappear from sight.)

Haru is in the same conditions as the other betas (his quarantine tank is floating in the main tank to keep him warm), has been treated with aquarium salt and is the closest to the heater. From the day I bought him he seemed less energetic than the others and liked to float near the surface. (He still does this)

I've heard that betas don't really like pellets but the others seem to enjoy it just fine, so is he just a picky eater? Or is his lethargicness a sign that something else wrong with him?

Also, on a side note, is there an easier way to take out uneaten food from the bottom of the tank? Sticking my hand + turkey baster into their water every day probably isn't the best way. And I'm afraid that the siphon that I have is too big and won't pick up the food. D:

Here's a picture of Haru:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2e1wymh.jpg
(The black dot above him is just my camera btw.)

TL;DR
Betta fish recovering from fin rot, has not eaten for almost two weeks. Not sure if he's a picky eater or if something else is going on.

Thank you in advance~

Last edited by faildog; 08-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.
faildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 
MSG

Don't feed the betta if he's not eating. Mine will torpedo themselves towards the pellets when they see them. If I drop 10 pellets in 1 at a time, they'll eat all 10 pellets. I'll only feed a couple pellets in the morning now.

How many pellets are you feeding yours?

Do you keep your temperatures at 76 degrees? Might want to turn it up to 80 for the picky ones
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry that your Betta is not 100%. Mine all eat pellets, I've actually heard most don't like flakes. You can try a different pellet or try frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp. If he hasn't eaten for 2 wks I'm not sure what you can do. Do I understand correctly that the tank is divided & that you have then in a breeder/QT box? I know many people have Bettas in 2g or less but it really isn't ideal long term. It could be that he was sicker than you though when you bought him. I had one that would NOT eat from the time I brought him home until the day he passed about a month or so later. Sorry, I'm not more help but other than trying a different food I don't know what to suggest.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #4 
faildog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Don't feed the betta if he's not eating. Mine will torpedo themselves towards the pellets when they see them. If I drop 10 pellets in 1 at a time, they'll eat all 10 pellets. I'll only feed a couple pellets in the morning now.

How many pellets are you feeding yours?

Do you keep your temperatures at 76 degrees? Might want to turn it up to 80 for the picky ones
I feed mine about 4 pellets at a time to avoid over feeding and the tank is kept at 76%. I will try to increase the temperature slowly P:

Quote:
Sorry that your Betta is not 100%. Mine all eat pellets, I've actually heard most don't like flakes. You can try a different pellet or try frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp. If he hasn't eaten for 2 wks I'm not sure what you can do. Do I understand correctly that the tank is divided & that you have then in a breeder/QT box? I know many people have Bettas in 2g or less but it really isn't ideal long term. It could be that he was sicker than you though when you bought him. I had one that would NOT eat from the time I brought him home until the day he passed about a month or so later. Sorry, I'm not more help but other than trying a different food I don't know what to suggest.
The tank is divided and I keep Haru in a smaller QT container. The other two are just in the tank.

And it appears that he is sicker than I thought. Haru started eating again when I tried feeding him, but when I looked at him, the QT container that he is in had a lot of stringy things in it. I assume that it's his poop, which means he has an internal parasite. (it looks like thin white thread D:) BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! Haru's fins have developed ich (which I have treated many times before with other fish and have medication for) and what I thought was Haru's gold coloring started to spread and revealed itself as velvet.
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!
While I was looking at him, I noticed a small blackish stringy thing dangling out from behind his eye. I do not have medication for velvet or external parasites as I am extremely low on funds. (The tank I bought them is brand new and cost 80$ )

I have done immediate water changes and added a bit of aquarium salt.

Looks like his eating was a sign that something else was wrong.. And I'm not sure if I should post this in the disease and treatment section. D:
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 
MSG

Sounds like parasites

You should post in the other section.

I have my methods of dealing with these buggers, but I would recommend taking the other's suggestions instead.

My treatment methods are slightly unorthodoxed.

I only feed my betta 1-2 pellets 2x a day. Morning & night. If they're EXTREMELY active I'll give them a bonus pellet or live treat.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 
faildog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
You should post in the other section.

I have my methods of dealing with these buggers, but I would recommend taking the other's suggestions instead.

My treatment methods are slightly unorthodoxed.

I only feed my betta 1-2 pellets 2x a day. Morning & night. If they're EXTREMELY active I'll give them a bonus pellet or live treat.

Will do, my only concern is that the parasites may need some special medication, which I don't have the money for right now :t

But, thank you so much for your help!