Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1 
Nuttawet

What do betta eat? Do betta eat cricket?

What do betta eat? Do betta eat cricket?
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 
RandyTheBettaFish

Bettas don't eat crickets!! They eat bloodworms, betta flakes and betta pellets, just to name a few. Betta fry can eat microworms or baby brine shrimp.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 
fishchick6485

They CANNOT eat crickets, it's very very bad for them because crickets can have diseases (even from pet stores) and can pose as a life threat for your betta, they will eat them cause they eat anything, but most of those things are life-threatening for them, they can eat betta fish food, like betta bits which they sell in petsmart and petco, and also other places if you bought your betta somewhere where its not petco or petsmart, they can also eat bloodworms, but only freezed or freezed-dried bloodworms because live ones can have diseases, they can also eat live baby brine shrimp, but its alot of care for them... so yeah, Hope I Helped! -FishChick6485
fishchick6485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #4 
Nuttawet

The smallest cricket is what i'm talking about, can betta eat smallest cricket?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #5 
RandyTheBettaFish

NO! Don't even risk it, the fish might choke on the cricket.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

No way dont try or risk it !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #7 
kfryman

In the wild they would eat bugs right? I don't see a problem with feeding a pin head, except where you get it from...

I wouldn't feed crickets just because of the conditions they are kept in, usually there are tons of dead crickets in the place they are kept, hunting at bad care, malnutrition, and disease. If you were to breed them I don't see a problem.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 
Nuttawet

I get them from Petco.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #9 
fishchick6485

Who cares if you get them from petco- not to be rude, but crickets are NOT for bettas, they would be for 10+ inches of fish, a bettas stomach is the size of their eye, and a small cricket would be 2 or 3 times more then their eye! Their for bigger fish like black knife fish all grown out or a catfish that gets to 14 inches, but I forget the catfishes name... just for example.... so anyway, as I have said, if you buy them at petco, then they DO have pellet-food for betta fish or bloodworms! just no crickets, cause crickets are for reptiles and HUGE fish, so don't think about it. Not to be a know-it-all, im just sayin' the truth!
fishchick6485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #10 
DragonFish

I have a Leopard Gecko, and when she was younger and ate the smaller crickets they used to get out a lot. Once one ended up in one of my fish tanks, and by the time I noticed my little Delta boy had eaten about half of it and was then carrying it around in his mouth, spitting it out, picking it back up...and kinda playing with it and picking it apart. And nothing negative came from the experience...when he got bored I picked out what was left of the cricket and that was that. The cricket was a little large, your standard small size, but no one died, lol.

I don't see a problem with feeding Pinhead crickets if you can find them; they actually are about the size of a bettas eye if I recall, very very tiny.....such a pain to unload on shipment day too, lol. I even considered picking some up myself a few times, but since I moved I can't seem to find any pinheads at Petco or Petsmart around here. If your Petco has pinheads, I don't see any issues, but if they just have your standard 'small' size those are sadly a little too large.
Of course, you shouldn't feed even pinheads as a staple...the base of a good betta diet should be a good pellet, but I really don't think it'd be the end of the world if you feed your betta a pinhead cricket or two every once in a while as a treat.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote