Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
otter

Question Super high ph

I don't understand what ph is. I've read countless books on many types of tropical fish, but I don't really understand it. I know it is the acidity and base of the water... Eh right? And my water for some reason has an extremely high ph of 9. My fish don't seem disturbed by the water and I haven't had any unexplainable fatalities... I keep lots of Betta and gourami and tetra. My ph is about 3.6 points too high. What do fish do if the ph is wrong? What signs do they show? Are they distressed or really sick looking? My fish dont look that way but there could be something I'm overlooking.

Is ph super important and if it is can someone reccomend ways to lower it? U heard peet moss is good, but how do you use it?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I don't understand what ph is. I've read countless books on many types of tropical fish, but I don't really understand it. I know it is the acidity and base of the water... Eh right? And my water for some reason has an extremely high ph of 9. My fish don't seem disturbed by the water and I haven't had any unexplainable fatalities... I keep lots of Betta and gourami and tetra. My ph is about 3.6 points too high. What do fish do if the ph is wrong? What signs do they show? Are they distressed or really sick looking? My fish dont look that way but there could be something I'm overlooking.

Is ph super important and if it is can someone reccomend ways to lower it? U heard peet moss is good, but how do you use it?
WOW that is really high. When you tested your tap did you let sit out for 24hrs, stirring it occasionally & then test it? Or is the 9 from your tank? My understanding is that to get a true Ph from your tap you need to do the 24hr thing. As for the fish, it is better to have a steady Ph than to try to adjust it as that can cause big fluctuations & cause more harm than good. Some of the ways people lower their tank Ph naturally is as you asked about, peet. They put it in a nylon or filter bag & place it in with their filter. Real driftwood, crushed coral I believe also help. With the peet add a little, check your Ph 24hrs later, if not low enough add some more & keep going until you get it where you want it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
otter

I have a well for my house and the water is super soft and doesn't have many minerals except a ton of boron for some reason, but the tap is the same ph as my fully cycled tanks. Would it be acceptable to leave the ph as is? Or is it a big problem? :/
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

Quote:

That is high. But there are two other parts. gh and kh. Bettas like soft water.. low gh for breeding. If acclimated correctly and you are not breeding your fish should be fine. If you want to lower that naturally ad some IAL leaves, oak leave or some peat. Matter of fact running your tap thru peat and adding dechlor will lower a lot of values.. might be all you need.

Here is an article I wrote on it:
http://basementbettas.wordpress.com/...-through-peat/
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #5 
Aus

Quote:
My fish don't seem disturbed by the water and I haven't had any unexplainable fatalities...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Though IAL is great for general health and does lower pH a little.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
otter

Thank you all! I am hoping to breed soon do when the time comes I will fix it! Thanks for helping