Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 
nel3

finrot reoccuring

my green dt had finrot 8 days ago i put him in 0.5tsp/1g of aq salt for 6 days. he's in a 2.5g heated with 100wc every 3 days. after 6 days, the fin rot was gone but a new spot came up. i didnt think much of it and left it alone. 1 day later it got worse a while he was in new water without AQ salt. that day it got worse i put 1 tsp of aq salt and it got worse to day, i just put another fill tsp of AQsalt into his tank.

the reason why i put half the dose is that i have horrible luck and cant do the normal dose right away. i seem to have bad luck where the webbing frays within an hour of the normal dose. half a dose doesnt seem to do such damage and usually does the trick to heal them.

my dilema is that within 9 days he's been in half dose AQ for the first 6 days, no aq the 7th, and there will be aq salt again for the 8th to 9th day. this will make 9 days of AQ salt and i dont want to leave him too long into the AQ salt. what should i do? id like to continue the AQ salt if possible.
this isnt an emergency but its unnerving me that id rather not stress him too much.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
my green dt had finrot 8 days ago i put him in 0.5tsp/1g of aq salt for 6 days. he's in a 2.5g heated with 100wc every 3 days. after 6 days, the fin rot was gone but a new spot came up. i didnt think much of it and left it alone. 1 day later it got worse a while he was in new water without AQ salt. that day it got worse i put 1 tsp of aq salt and it got worse to day, i just put another fill tsp of AQsalt into his tank.

the reason why i put half the dose is that i have horrible luck and cant do the normal dose right away. i seem to have bad luck where the webbing frays within an hour of the normal dose. half a dose doesnt seem to do such damage and usually does the trick to heal them.

my dilema is that within 9 days he's been in half dose AQ for the first 6 days, no aq the 7th, and there will be aq salt again for the 8th to 9th day. this will make 9 days of AQ salt and i dont want to leave him too long into the AQ salt. what should i do? id like to continue the AQ salt if possible.
this isnt an emergency but its unnerving me that id rather not stress him too much.
Are you sure it's fin rot & not damage from one of the decorations? Your 2nd paragraph is a little confusing. If it's continuing to get worse then it might not be fin rot. Keeping his water extra clean should be clearing it up, IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
Indigo88

Hydrogen Peroxide

I only have experienced severe fin rot. I was not aware that my betta was sick until I brought him home and the rot nearly attacked his body. I used Hydrogen Peroxide topically and it cured my fish in two applications. He now has some nice new fin growth.

Here are the instructions that I followed. http://www.bettatalk.com/answer30.htm

I did NOT rinse the betta in tap water or wait 1 min after treatment because I decided it would stress him out too much. I used a pie tin and paper towels moistened in tank water. If you do decide to try this make sure that you cover your betta with a wet paper towel. If you do not he will flop around and might hurt himself. Be very careful not to get hydrogen peroxide on his gills because you could kill him.
Attached Images

Indigo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 
nel3

his tail is a bit bloody and its gotten a bit worse. as for the second paragragh, i cant really explain it well myself. whether its ES or AQ salt it seems to eat at the webbing corroding it. its bizarre as i let the salt disolve completely before adding it.

one example was my DTHM. i put him in 1tsp ES/1g QT. its a smooth glass 2 by 4 3 inches tall. his fins were complete and then the ES water was added there was nothing in there to tear his fins on but 15 minutes later 10% of the webbing was corroded.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 
nel3

i like this forum site very much but absolutely detest the 20 minutes to edit a post. i understand the reason why its there but its still gets to me sometimes.

disregard most of the missing fin coverage. the areas in question is the outer edge of the bottom caudal that lost 3mm and the base of the anal fin. you can see the red areas on the back of the anal tail. you can use the pic of the anal tail in my avy as for how it was recently. theres no snagging areas and no filter in the 2.5g

i do have API general cure, jungle fungal infection meds, jungle ickguard , kordon rid ich plus among the meds.

@ Indigo: i appreciate the inut though i dont deem the situation dire enough to consider that option at this point. id prefer to use products that are safe to use on aquatic animals.

Last edited by nel3; 08-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

watch him for a while, he might be fin nipping, which you should've ruled out before treating for fin rot, as nipping is caused by stress, and many fin rot remedies can cause even more stress on him.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I would discontinue any treatment other than EXTREMELY clean, warm water. Give it a couple of days to see if there is any change. When my female had some kind of rot, started on her body & then hit her top fin, I moved her into a 10g tank & made sure the water was kept clean. She improved within 24hrs. I previously had her in a 1g tank due to my lack of knowledge. She fully recovered & except for a slight indentation on her back you'd never know she ever had a problem. I stay away from any meds or adding anything to the water except as a last resort. Just my opinion & experience; others probably disagree & he is your fish so obviosuly it's your decision.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 
nel3

thank you very much. hes tail is improving a bit atm and he's due for a 100 wc. the fins dont seem to be getting worse atm so i'll drop the AQ salt and do more normal WC. he's been known for biting his tail but rarely it was the nal tail. his anal tail is about an inch and a quater long. this is his first anal tail damage thats noteworthy. he's damaged all but his pectorals.

whats determines how long AQ salt can be used on a betta? is it eh concentration of salt in the water or is its presence enough to limit it to 10 days.

Last edited by nel3; 08-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.