Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

me? yeah, I don't know much about being catholic. I was forced into it and never paid any attention at religious instruction.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was born and raised Catholic. I was sick when I was born so I was baptized and I think I was given the last rites, goo.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

But not confirmed :P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #14 
PaintingPintos

I believe in God, I am Baptized, Confirmed, I've received Reconciliation and Holy Communion...I go to Mass every Sunday with my family and the only parts I really ever feel connected is when I'm singing or during Communion.
I am a psychic, which is frowned upon in the Catholic church.
I believe in ghosts, I see them, I talk to them....
Who gives a damn?
My God loves me for who I am, and I like to stay in touch with him. He gave me all of my gifts that I have now. So why would I want to change my views on that....I am happy. Though I do believe that a lot of teachings in the Bible are completely fake and not actually sent by God. Maybe some religious person got on a rant one day....also there are a LOT of readings that seem a little too intent on making you believe that God is real. Like saying someone did not believe in God, but once they believed God saved them from all sins and everything and they never were unhappy blah blah blah blah blah. I don't actually follow the 10 Commandments though, I follow my own "Right and Wrong" though I do believe that your virginity should be saved for newly-weds as they are sharing their ultimate love for each-other and they are showing how much they TRULY love each other.
Whatever xD
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

I was baptized Catholic And Lutheran as a child because I almost died the day I was born and I guess Mom and Dad wanted to cover the bases lol. I later had my Confirmation in the Catholic faith, was a Jehovah's Witness for a while as a teenager, and a practicing Wiccan for a time too. I was finally Born Again in 1982, and I'm so glad I was...there is no ritual to get me into heaven...Jesus finished it for me.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #16 
homegrown terror

i was forced into confirmation by my dad when i was 13, even though by that point i was basically atheist. i've always resented him, and the catholic church's indoctrination culture. these days i'm a semi practicing Asatruar or Germanic Heathen (follower of the Gods of the Old North) and find more comfort standing before Them as a man than i ever did kneeling as a servant. to this day i refuse to let my dad into my son's life, because i know he would stop at nothing trying to force him down the catholic path as well.

EDIT: also wanted to say that all i ever gained from my catholic indoctrination was an understanding of the church's inner working, which helps to counter arguments made by those i encounter in life that try to steer my off my own road less traveled.

EDIT #2: sorry to anyone i've offended, the catholic church is one of those institutions i've got a bit of an internal vendetta against, but i've got nothing against any of my fellow betta lovers. we'll just never see eye to eye on the topic of god(s)

Last edited by homegrown terror; 08-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Dad's family is all Catholic and they believe that I'm going to hell for changing denominations.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #18 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
My dad was raised catholic, and thankfully he didn't push it on me. Not that I would have even accepted it. But you see they can push in on you all they want but if you don't believe it doesn't mean jack squat.

I personally am against pushing religion on kids, it's not right and kids don't need it for they're innocent. I'm 100% against most mainstream realigions as they seem to want to reinforce the concept of "hell" which is a creation of man to scare people to follow.

I see it this way communion, baptism, and any other ceremony you want to bring into it is a delusion, same as those who practice witchcraft saying there's a three-fold law. It's only in place to prevent anyone from straying from a belief or think in a certain way.

I also think it should be illegal to force upon a child anything having to do with their body or thought until they are old enough to have a say, and that means 18!
BUT they do need to be taught what's right and wrong. Religion, traditionalism, and upbringing does come into play there. It is WRONG to kill someone. It is WRONG to abuse a betta, etc. How do we know it's WRONG? Civilization is built on religion and culture.
Sorry for butting into this thread! Just felt the need to say something.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
BUT they do need to be taught what's right and wrong. Religion, traditionalism, and upbringing does come into play there. It is WRONG to kill someone. It is WRONG to abuse a betta, etc. How do we know it's WRONG? Civilization is built on religion and culture.
Sorry for butting into this thread! Just felt the need to say something.
are you trying to say that morality and decorum can't exist without religion? i'd counter that with the fact that every social animal in the world has a sense of what is and isn't right for them to do, and so far humans are the only ones to develop religion (that we know of, certain pre-human hominids might have had religions and just didn't leave physical evidence, or that evidence just hasn't been found yet)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #20 
SnowySurface

For the most part, I've said my piece already. But I'm a bit different in the sense that my parents were going to induct me into the Baptist Church but never did. SO my Grandma asked if I wanted to be Catholic like her or properly accepted into the Baptist church through my Uncle. So I did have a say in which faith I joined.

Grant it, being "allowed" to choose between Baptist and Catholic isn't the same as being allowed to join either religion, but I still had some say in becoming Catholic. I guess I just wanted to toss that out their to make it known that some kids do get to choose. We weren't all herded into the faith like cattle and forced to like it against our will. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote