Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 
LizzyP

New tank, some tankmates?

I got a new 5.5 gallon tank for Dumbledore and gave Jonah Dumbledore's old 3 gallon, both are very happy with their upgrades.

Now that Dumbledore has this big tank all to himself, it's looking a little empty with just one little betta in there. Could I put something else in there? I don't know how aggressive he is with other fish, he's never seen one for as long as I've had him. I don't think 5.5 gallons is big enough for a school of fish like tetras, but maybe something that does well in low numbers or just 1?

Also, how often should I be cleaning it? I've been doing 50% changes once per week with a gravel vac. It isn't cycled, but it does have a filter. I don't know my exact parameters since I haven't been home in almost a week.

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 
Orito

I would take a look at this [ LINK ]. Has a huge list of compatibilities, as well as recommended tank and group sizes.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #3 
Aus

If it looks a bit empty, why not fill it up with plants like java moss, java fern, hornwort, etc? Bettas love them and they help the water stay clean. Then if you get a few shrimp or a snail, those critters will have a more natural environment and hiding spaces too, and the plants will help to keep the extra waste from building up too fast. All you need to keep the plants happy is a small plant-friendly light, maybe a drop of flourish now and then for the stems.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
LizzyP

I don't like live plants, I have a hard time keeping them alive. Especially since in this tank I don't have a light on it. His tank is in the kitchen which has lights on almost all the time, but it doesn't have a lighted hood.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote