Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 
notsabrina

Question Opinion about my plants

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Had my betta for 3 days now.

Before I got my halfmoon betta, I did a fair share of research to make sure my boyfriend and I were fully prepared to care for one. When the day came to purchase our tank, I made the decision to get plastic plants instead of silk. I know the pros and cons of each, and ultimately chose plastic over silk to prevent from fraying threads. With plastic plants I've learned that if the plastic is not sharp it should be fine and tear the fins, so when picking my decor I looked for rounded leaves instead of jagged or extremely pointed ones. However, I never did the "nylon test" to see if the plants would snag.

The reason why I am asking for your opinion about my plants is because today I discovered that my betta's dorsal fin looked ripped and more tattered than normal. When I purchased him he had a slight 'V' tear on his dorsal, but now there are several more tears. I've ruled out that this possibly may not be fin rot because his caudal fin and anal fin are perfect circles. I'm thinking maybe my judgement about the sharpness/jaggedness of my plants were wrong and that this may be the cause of his frayed finnage.

In terms of setup, I'm keeping Mr. Caviar in the Marineland Crescent 5 gal. tank, with a heater, LED light, and filter. I've included pictures of Caviar's home, his before pictures, and what he looks like now. I hope you all can help me diagnose him, or if I should find him smoother plants!

Thank you!

Caviar at the pet store

Current tank setup. Did a 50% water change this morning at 9am (pst).

Caviar before

Caviar now
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
otter

hmm.. they look a little sharp and mightve done some damage D: but i mean. feel them and see if it looks like it would rip through a thin leaf. Its quite possible :(
Especially since your betta is a half moon and its fins are really large, a crowntail wouldn't have as much as a problem probably since their tails are spikey and not.. grouped.

one rule Ive heard is like if you get a thin panyhoe and run the plants along it, the plants shouldn't catch. If they do then theyre not safe :(
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
notsabrina

Otter,

Thank you for responding. I don't think it is the plants that is ripping my betta's fins. I've noticed that when he swims underneath the filter, he likes to go right below it so the tips of his dorsal fin actually get sucked into the slot. He doesn't show any signs of struggle getting out of it. The filter lightly sucks it in and then releases when he swims away.
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote