Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 
SuperCrum

I accidently dropped Sheldon while changing his water.....

He lost some fin. He's swimming and eating and seems fine right now. I'm just worried about infection. Should I add aquarium salt to his water? Is sea salt the same thing. I already have that on hand and can add that right away. What is the proper ratio and how do you add it. Pre-dissolve it in warmed water or will it dissolve if I put it in the water jug and give a good shake? Sorry for such newby questions. I've only had him for a few weeks. I feel so bad for him. He fell down into the drain in my kitchen sink. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to recover him. Thanks for any info you can give.
SuperCrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
weaver72

This happen's alot to people,we forget that they JUMP! and we need to keep lids and there tops on at all times.I always save all the containers mine come in for water changes
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 
Indigo88

He will probably be fine. I dropped my fish unto my desk twice and he was fine. He acted really dizzy and disoriented at first, I thought for sure he was going to die! I just left his water as it was. Sometimes messing with their water too much can make it harder for their immune systems to heal.

If you want to add salt you should add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I would add it gradually over the course of a day or two. Make sure your sea salt doesn't have any additives, especially iodine. If it doesn't then you should be fine. Dissolve the salt first in some of his tank water. If there are any non-dissolved pieces they will burn him.

Good Luck! I hope your fish is ok! Bettas are pretty hardy.
Indigo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #4 
SuperCrum

Thank you for the reassurance. I don't want to do something that would do him more harm than good. I'll just keep an eye on him.
SuperCrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 
Kenny G

There is not need to add salt. Just let him rest and keep him in warm clean tank water and monitor his behavior for a few days.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #6 
LionCalie

Adding some salt can actually be beneficial. It helps replace damaged slime coat, promote gill function, and restore electrolytes. Personally, I like to add a low dose if I have a Betta with fin damage and keep him in it for a few days. It is up to you though. If you feel better just keeping him in warm clean water and monitoring him closely, that is good too.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote