Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Perseus ate a snail

I thought I had got them all off the plants I put in his tank a month and half ago but now a few are starting to pop up. I saw a couple climbing on the wall and got them out but I look over and Perseus is chewing on something right over the moss balls so I took them out and there was a tiny empty shell so at least he didnt eat the shell but would it hurt him if he did ???? These are tiny Pond Snails.

I am going to give the gravel a good cleaning today but I am finally getting to the end of cycling and well this bother the BB ?

I am going to put a slice of cucumber overnight and see if I can catch any that way.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
megaredize

ive heard of bettas eating snails before so i dont think it will hurt him. its not ideal and i wouldnt want to let him do it, but i think he will be fine. i bet he liked his escargot :) doing a gravel vac wont effect your cycle. yoru cycle is in your filter and not really the gravel and the gravel vac just gets the gunk out.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think eating snails will hurt him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 
lelei

Wow, talk about protein, I would think in natural habitat they eat snails, ?? Sammy tried to eat a mosquito the other day..wish I had taped that one..but he grabbed it, and spit it out, then grabbed it again, then it started floating away..and he started to chase it, didnt see it afterwards..guess he ateit..idk..but it was funny..I'ms sure Pers will be fine..as long as it was a small one..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 
Jupiter

If he didn't eat the shell I don't think it would harm him. Looks like he just had a good snack. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Lol thanks everyone...funny this post should come up just now cause I just spotted another tiny snail climbing and one of the plants and got him out before Perseus saw him and had a nice snail lunch today..lolololol ! The tiny snail is now in his own little tank along with the others that came off the plants I found, hard to believe that after putting the plants in the tank almost two months ago they are still popping up, I dont over feed and drop Perseus`s pellets in one at time to much sure he eats them but every now and then one will sink that he doesnt get but that is rarely.

Yeah Lelei I wish you could have gotten that on tape I would love to watch that...lol

Last edited by Perseusmom; 08-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #7 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Wow, talk about protein, I would think in natural habitat they eat snails, ?? Sammy tried to eat a mosquito the other day..wish I had taped that one..but he grabbed it, and spit it out, then grabbed it again, then it started floating away..and he started to chase it, didnt see it afterwards..guess he ateit..idk..but it was funny..I'ms sure Pers will be fine..as long as it was a small one..:)
PranaMama ate a mosquito that I smacked dead it was all full of my blood. It took her a while to swallow it. I was a little nervous that she might choke.

A fly fell into QiBaby's tank, and I tried to encourage her to eat it, but it was too big for her.

I ended up drowning it and I threw it out in the garden.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #8 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Lol thanks everyone...funny this post should come up just now cause I just spotted another tiny snail climbing and one of the plants and got him out before Perseus saw him and had a nice snail lunch today..lolololol ! The tiny snail is now in his own little tank along with the others that came off the plants I found, hard to believe that after putting the plants in the tank almost two months ago they are still popping up, I dont over feed and drop Perseus`s pellets in one at time to much sure he eats them but every now and then one will sink that he doesnt get but that is rarely.

Yeah Lelei I wish you could have gotten that on tape I would love to watch that...lol
Folks who have snail eating fish Smoosh the snails then put them in the tank.

I haven't yet brought myself to do it.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote