Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 
Canuck Fins

Should I be Concerned?

What size is your tank? 5G hawkeye
What temperature is your tank? 79*
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, twice a day, sub bloodworms one feeding a week, fasting one day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Tested today and everything came up zero. :( Thought it should have some nitrates. Repeated test twice on that one.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tear in bottom of tail fin and one in bottom fin, but don't look ragged or black on edges. Thought maybe he was biting. Looked better today than the other day. (His fins are NOT clamped.)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More shy, hides when I approach tank but sometimes see him swimming when he doesn't see me. Less energetic most of the time. Appetite lousy last two days, but at last feeding came up to top, ate and acted more like normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? none except for regular water change. (Last change on Friday)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? Have had fish for approx 18 months. Cycled tank before I got him.

I'm not sure if I should just keep doing regular water changes and watch him or if I need to Q in a smaller tank. (Not sure how to do that.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You should have nitrates but since you're doing such frequent water changes his water should be safe but I always do 50% water change on my tanks. The tattered fin, do you have any plastic plants? Is there anything else he could get fins caught on? Could it get caught in the filter intake? You don't need to QT if he's the only tank inhabitant. If he's not eating well try not feeding him for a couple of days. Are you seeing any funny looking poop? Could be aging is cause a little slow down in his activity.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Thanks for the reply. He's never had a problem with the filter intake before, but I can certainly put a sponge around it in case that's the culprit. He did eat when I tried to feed him the second time yesterday so he did eat normally yesterday.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #4 
Aus

If you have live plants, they can take up nitrates.

As your fish gets older, maybe he's just not able to cope with the filter flow like before? I do suspect mechanical damage - filter, plastic plant, something like that.

It doesn't sound like rot, and doing a few extra water changes to keep the water pristine (and a bit of IAL if you can get some) ought to heal those tears up fine.

Might be a good idea to baffle the filter just to cross out that possibility, and re-check any ornaments for sharp edges, spiky leaves, rough surfaces etc.

Keep an eye on the fin edges and his health in general - but if the water's clean, he has a good chance of avoiding infection.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Thanks for the reply. He's never had a problem with the filter intake before, but I can certainly put a sponge around it in case that's the culprit. He did eat when I tried to feed him the second time yesterday so he did eat normally yesterday.
Things can change. I would baffle it & see if that helps. Glad he's eating maybe just feed him once a day. Sounds like he's doing good at the moment so keep doing what you're doing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #6 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
If you have live plants, they can take up nitrates.

As your fish gets older, maybe he's just not able to cope with the filter flow like before? I do suspect mechanical damage - filter, plastic plant, something like that.

It doesn't sound like rot, and doing a few extra water changes to keep the water pristine (and a bit of IAL if you can get some) ought to heal those tears up fine.

Might be a good idea to baffle the filter just to cross out that possibility, and re-check any ornaments for sharp edges, spiky leaves, rough surfaces etc.

Keep an eye on the fin edges and his health in general - but if the water's clean, he has a good chance of avoiding infection.
No plastic plants. He's got a castle ruin and live plants. I hadn't suspected the filter intake, but now that you say it, it sounds likely. I'll get that fixed up today. I've got an extra sponge I can secure around it.

Where would I find IAL? Do you just float the leaf on the water or how do you add it?

Thanks all! When I turned on Ninja's light today, he was uber fast moving around although still sticking near the back of the tank. That's more normal. :)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #7 
jake1515

I am getting Indian Almond leaves through ebay, but it is taking FOREVER because the guy is shipping them from Thailand. Good luck though!
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote