Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
PaulO

Man I feel guilty...

So about 2 weeks a go I had bought these two little fragile crown-tail betta females and had put them in 2 separate individual tetra starter kits, with decor and the filter is baffled of course. Anyway I've noticed for a while now the fish are constantly swimming against the tank walls and one of them(not sure if this matters) is just constantly opening and closing her mouth and I was wondering if I could get some ideas on a way to give them some more space. Also I am on a bit of a budget and do I need to give them more room? each tank is 1.5 gallons with filter and horn wort to keep it natural.Thanks! :)
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #2 
LionCalie

I recommend taking the filters out. In a tank that size you won't be able to hold a stable cycle anyway. Filters are only beneficial if they are cycled, meaning good bacteria has colonized. This is much easier to do in a tank 5 gallons or larger. Right now your filter is only taking up room and maybe catching some particles.

Do you know what temperature their water is at? Betta fish are tropical and need temps to be 76F - 82 F to thrive. To achieve this people usually end up having to heat the tanks, unless you keep your home very warm. Even then heaters are recommended to keep the water temperature stable.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 
PaulO

Yes I have thermometer for their tanks the temp is around 78.6 I put a fan near the tanks otherwise it would be like 82.8. I live in Cali and its pretty warm down here even now in late summer. Its kinda impossible to take the filters off thou:( due to the tanks design.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 
LionCalie

Is this the tank you have? http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29137-Wa.../dp/B0018CFMYS
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Swimming along tank walls is normal. Females are very active usually and that is why they should have larger tanks than males.
My female betta is alone in a 10 gallon tank and does the same thing.

As for the opening & closing of the mouth- what are your ammonia levels? How often are you cleaning the tanks and what % of the water are you changing each time?

No offense but if you dont have a lot of money I'd suggest next time getting just one rather than two.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 
PaulO

Yes that is the tank that I use, and for the second reply.Yes I do admit what I did was careless, I had read up on conditions of tanks and the water.Unfortunately I had spent all my money on the stand, testing kit, and thermometer, etc. and had planned to buy these tanks... 1 week after I bought these tanks I started to look at what sizes other people kept their fish in and realized that these are only suitable as hospital tanks. So my biggest question is will it be more reasonable for me to buy two separate 5 gallon tanks or a single 10 gallon tank? Even though I want to completely spoil my little ones, there is only so much room that I have to work with :/ and I don't want the fish to suffer for my mistakes.Also I do tests every 2-3 days (I'm ocd about the water especially since these are the first weeks) and I am getting 0's across all board(ammonia,nitarate,and nitrites) which worries me. I do 20 percent changes twice a week and a 100 percent every one week. Also the filter uses activated carbon in the cartridge.(tetra whisper 3i I believe).
The real money burner was that I needed a stand and I was planning for a bigger aquarium in the long run so I ended up dropping the most on the stand itself. So main point being: 10 gallon split with mesh or 2 single 5 gallons. Also does it matter if their bow front or rectangle I think I read that bettas prefer bow front but then again ea. website says something different than the last. Thank you

Last edited by PaulO; 08-21-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
Yes that is the tank that I use, and for the second reply.Yes I do admit what I did was careless, I had read up on conditions of tanks and the water.Unfortunately I had spent all my money on the stand, testing kit, and thermometer, etc. and had planned to buy these tanks... 1 week after I bought these tanks I started to look at what sizes other people kept their fish in and realized that these are only suitable as hospital tanks. So my biggest question is will it be more reasonable for me to buy two separate 5 gallon tanks or a single 10 gallon tank? Even though I want to completely spoil my little ones, there is only so much room that I have to work with :/ and I don't want the fish to suffer for my mistakes.Also I do tests every 2-3 days (I'm ocd about the water especially since these are the first weeks) and I am getting 0's across all board(ammonia,nitarate,and nitrites) which worries me. I do 20 percent changes twice a week and a 100 percent every one week. Also the filter uses activated carbon in the cartridge.(tetra whisper 3i I believe).
The real money burner was that I needed a stand and I was planning for a bigger aquarium in the long run so I ended up dropping the most on the stand itself. So main point being: 10 gallon split with mesh or 2 single 5 gallons. Also does it matter if their bow front or rectangle I think I read that bettas prefer bow front but then again ea. website says something different than the last. Thank you

1.5 gallon tanks are so small that it is extremely difficult to cycle them. I wouldn't even attempt it, especially since they're temporary.
When cycling a tank, you never do a 100% change. If you stay on top of your ammonia levels during the cycling process, you will only need to clean the tank about 50%- probably once or twice a week. A cycled tank should have a 30-50% water change once a week to maintain good water quality and to rid of excess nitrates. A cycled tank will show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates.
You never rinse the filter in tap water or replace it. The filter is where most of the beneficial bacteria (which takes ammonia and turns it into nitrite- and that into nitrate) live, and doing so could kill them or wash them away.

Because you will have a low bio load you will want to do a fish-in cycle. But like I said, it would be pointless to attempt cycling 1.5 gal tanks, especially if they're temporary. It takes 6-8 weeks to cycle if done properly.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

As for the tanks- it's up to you but it would be more cost effective to get a 10 gallon divided tank- 1 filter, 1 heater. I have a 10 gallon tank that I purchased at walmart, it's the "aquaculture 10 gallon starter kit"
It includes the glass tank, a filter, and a hood with a light for $30 in store.

As for a heater- you will want one that is adjustable & has a thermostat. I personally use via aqua heaters- they are great quality and very affordable. I personally keep my betta's tank set to 80 degrees F, but I would try to stay within the range of 78-82. This heater will maintain the temperature you set it to, by turning on to heat and off when needed, so this won't over or under heat. This heater will work for your tank:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Here's a good "how to" DIY divider: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Hope this helped :)

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 08-21-2012 at 06:06 AM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 
PaulO

Yes it was extremely useful thank you I might have to save this post or add it as a bookmark :P, the only thing I forgot to mention is I did buy some API stress coat and quick start enzyme, I think what I will end up doing is buying a ten gallon and splitting it. I did have one question though, I did a little research online to see if there were any filters made specifically for bettas or filters with low outflow and I ended up reading about sponge filters. So I was just wondering what do you guys think about these types of filters? I heard that they have a very small impact on the tanks water in means of currents and the bettas tails not getting caught on the intake. Should I invest in one or two of these or are they just garbage? Also a few question about the tank water parameters, first being ph. one tank has a ph of 7 and the other 6.8 so just wondering do bettas prefer acidic, neutral, or more alkaline waters? and the second question is temp. I have heard stories about water temp being anywhere from 74 to 82 so I am thoroughly confused. I keep the water at around 78-80 and sometimes it might go into 81-82 at which point I start opening all the windows in the house like a madman. So point being what is the ideal ph and temperature of the water? Like i said I want these two little fish to be the most spoiled little fish on the planet :P I will definitely be getting them a 10 gallon as soon as I can. Any way thank you for reading and answering my question and Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by PaulO; 08-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #9 
tpocicat

I think sponge filters are great! They not only lower the flow of the water, but they really keep the water clean. You just have to remember to squeeze the sponge every now and again in old tank water to clean it. You use old tank water, because beneficial organisms live in the sponge after awhile. As for the temperature, I usually keep mine around 78-80 degrees.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 
PaulO

Thanks Ill look into them. Do you recommend the hydro sponge filters or will any do?