Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 
fairy74

Whats wrong with me today..arghhh

So here goes another thread..having a very bad day(ill kids, fish everywhere,tired and stressed lol)

So what an idiot i am..i ran a bath for my ill son with clary sage oil..i have since cleaned my hands but i thought i would feed the two new fish that arrived today and totaly forgot my hands still smell like the clary oil.
One happily ate the pellets and seems ok but the other kept spitting it out and im scared that i might have poisoned them.
I know unless someone on here knows about oils then i cant be advised.

Also the fish have only been fed on flakes prior to their arrival which i dont like as all my others are on pellets,so perhaps one of the girls was just being fussy..and in that case will she rather starve than eat what i offer?

Sorry for sounding like a crazy lady today.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

New fish can take up to a week to feel comfortable in a new tank and start eating. I wouldn't stress it yet. How long have you had your new guys?

And yes, pellets are much better than flakes.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 
fairy74

Ive had them about 5 hours lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 
katrina89

2 of my guys cant eat pellets... unless u soak them first... which is too much work... so i feed them flakes but my king betta eats them just fine... i think theyre a bit big for reg bettas
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Most of my new bettas have taken up to a week to adjust and start eating. No worries.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 
MSG

I think your bettas will be FINE.

Clary sage isn't that strong. I use herbs all the time. I would be more concerned about sunscreen lotion, face wash residue on your hands, or hair spray. If you think the water is contaminated, just change out the water.

I keep my QT bettas in the bathroom opposite to my sink. There's been plenty of times where I wondered if got a little hair spray mixed in with their water. I use lids now.

Also I've kept a couple by my kitchen sink, but then I stopped once I was using my 2% bleach sanitizing spray, I could see particles of the spray rising through the sunlight. Nothing happened.

I've used the bay leaves you typically cook with to soak my injured bettas in. I've also used maple leaves, oak leaves, mulberry leaves, etc.... Nothing happened.

About the pellet shooting behavior, it's nothing to be too concerned with. The red boys I got from IndianaB were doing the same thing with the other pellets I was trying to give them. Finally after 5-7 days all of them with the exception of the little female are eating all the different foods.

The only time the bettas get flakes is if they're hanging out in the guppy tank. It's a little bonus to them in addition to the other fish, it's funny to watch the bettas with flakes because they're not sure which one to go for since they're scattered all over the top. Anything that remains the betta can't eat, the guppies will clean up.

In your other thread, your female betta looks like it's gotten too much food. On the positive side, at least it's eating the prepared food, instead of the other fish. I put blue Delfine with the guppies & the radiation green/yellow colored guppy nipped her fins and she TORE him up. Normally when I see a fish on it's side, it's dead within hour. I removed neon guppy and placed him in a kosher salt solution and he righted himself in about 3-5 hours, but had no interest in food till around midnight. Now at least he's eating, but he's being kept to himself in the floating breeding cage till his fins grow back.

What I've learned is.... Senetti & Delfine are NOT guppy friendly.

But the neon green guppy, he was always the biggest troublemaker & really the one that nipped at any of the bettas fins, so he had it coming. Mr guppy was pressed up against the bottom of the plastic breeding cage taking his final breaths. He's lucky I got home in time to save him. I doubt he'll make a speedy recovery in a week like most of the bettas do.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #7 
fairy74

One of the females in the biorb QT seems to have gone a bit psycho,even when i feed her shes aggresive..while the others just come to the top and eat she lunges at the pellet with such attitude,it makes you want to get her out and put her in a tank with a fish the size of your hand for a few minutes to see how she likes it(just joking by the way).but you get what i mean.

Shes the first aggresive female ive had so far,maybe once added with the others to the large tank she will get ranked lower..she will be going in last.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #8 
Aus

Make sure you've got a tank for her in case she remains aggressive, and a hospy tank in case there's a huge fight. I would not put my aggressive VT female in with any other fish at all. She actually will flare at bright colours with her tiny girl-gills, lol, and can rip a large cherry shrimp apart in ten seconds flat. I don't think other bettas would stand much of a chance with her.. better to be prepared then not, I guess.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote