Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 
Joelouisvachon

Spits out food.

I got a new Betta today, settling into his 2 gallon tank nicely. it's been about five hours since I stopped floating him and put him in, so I thought it was fine to feed him. I feed Aqueon Betta Food.

when I dropped a pellet, I was pleased to see him swim up and grab it with his mouth. what I was not so pleased to see was him spit the pellet back out after chewing. I have a few theories why:

1. He hasn't settled in yet, and I should wait a while before trying again.
2. The pellets aren't to his taste, he's used to a different brand, or prefers flakes.
3. He was fed already at the pet store, and is full.
4. No reason- he just likes seeing me flail my arms and freak out.
5. My new Betta fish is sick- this theory baffles me because he seems very healthy, and no signs of anything, even tail biting.

Which reason do YOU think is most likely? I'm not too worried yet, should I be?
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 
edk911

Your betta is probably used to a different food or still settling in. My guys do this sometimes when they're not really hungry enough. Betta usually hate flakes and will give you a really dirty look if you try to feed that to them. Let him settle for a day and try tomorow with a single pellet. If possible remove any uneaten food if doing so doesn't freak him out. He'll eat over the next few days. If he hasnt after 5 days you may need to try a different food. Different betta like different foods ive found but they'll eat anything if they actually hungry.
edk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 
Joelouisvachon

Thank you for the reassurance! I've had betta fish who didn't eat but never one who spat out his food, so I was wondering.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
lelei

It is a matter of preference, some bettas are very picky..and just don't like certain foods, but I would try again, if it is a big pellet sometimes they spit it out, and eat it as it's floating, cause now it's smaller, so that could very well be it, if it is not a Micro pellet, very tiny..I would say that is the reason.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

BETTAS ARE NEVER FULL! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. MANY FISH HAVE DIED BECAUSE OWNERS THOUGHT THEY WERE "HUNGRY".

I apologise for using capslock, but I just saw this the other day. Someone overfed their betta according to the instructions on the box "all he can eat in 2 minutes" and he died of something, probably his gut putting pressure on his tiny fishy heart. Anyway, bettas will literally eat untill they die. 1-2 pellets daily is fine. NEXT, petco bettas are often brought home sick :( it is a sad reality that most bettas at petco die there and those that do not, die in the owners care, except for the few that find a loving, caring owner willing to nurse them back to health. Does he have a heater? If not, get one, this could be one reason he is not eating. Another thing is, I do not recommend aqueon products much at all. The tanks and filters are okay, but the heaters often die on me, ESPECIALLY that little one that is rated 1-10 gallons, barely works on a 2.5 gallon, and dies after 6 months. Pieces of junk if you ask me. anyway, yeah if you DO like that food, I have seen those pellets and they are not terrible. They are a good size to fit in his mouth, a bit big for younger bettas, anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah XD just leave the food in there for 20 mins and then clean it out, and if he does not eat after a week, then try something new. Mine like tetramin tropical crisps.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 
jake1515

From a rather inexperienced (but getting more knowledgeable) owner, I had the same problem when I first got my betta. He did it for the first two days. (On a related note, my arms were flailing too). Anyway, I reckon that Zayden got hungry after a bit of constantly spitting it out and started eating his food. Since those first two days, there has never been a problem. I do treat him to some fancier foods on occasion.
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 
GFarra

All of my bettas have done something similar upon getting home an dhaving thier first feeding. My fish are from Petco and I learned that they feed them dried blood worms. I break my bettas in by giving them a small peice of worm followed immediately by a pellet. after 2-3 feeding they go after the pellets without the need of the worms. I have been using the Aqeon and Hikori pellets. The Hikori's float....but check thier packages. They have been changing the formula. Look for packages where the first ingredient is fish meal

Good luck

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 
cjz96

I was told on the forum here that they spit out their food sometimes because they need to soften it? If my bettas spit out food, I sometimes soak them beforehand. Especially for the young or new ones.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #9 
Joelouisvachon

He ate today! I guess he just wasn't used to his new surroundings yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #10 
lelei

Yayy..that is very good news:) same pellets or different ones?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote