Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #11 
prodrumernate

i think it should all be fine.higher up the temp with the water and the substrate and it should be fine..i keep reading online about raising the temp in the tank to treat it.and to give it a few days..

if you sit it in a bucket.id let it sit outside if its hot there.keep it covered to help hold heat in but leave a little gap to allow aeration IMO..it should be fine as long as it has a few days for the ich to die
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #12 
MSG

PD mentioned it....

I would heat the tank up once the plants and fish are removed. This is a good time to test out your max temp for your heater.

I would blast it to the high 90's maybe even 100 degrees, I would use kosher salt on the tank, but feel free to us AQ. Your plants would need to be qt for at least a week. Study up on the plants first to see what temperatures they can tolerate.

When I was cycling my tank, it was 100 degrees.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #13 
prodrumernate

oh yes good advice MSG..glad u mentioned about seeing what the plants can tolerate and using this as a chance to test the max temp of the heater.

kosher salt i think would be better..cheaper at that also..

when i set up my 20 gallon(after the silicon dries from another leak repair i just did) im going to take the heater out of my 10 gallon since my oto and my rosy reds can handle lower temps than the bettas..and do a fishless cycle using food as well as seeding my tank

so i would surly use this chance to see what my heater can do.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #14 
MSG

My 25 Watt Visi-therm's maximum temperature setting is 89 degrees, but when I turned it up all the way...... it actually heated the 10G to 97 degrees when I finally checked the temperature on day 3. The high 90's didn't hurt the cycle at all.

It might have even gone faster if I added an air pump on day 3-4.

Anyways... I have at least 10lbs of kosher salt on hand & only 5oz of AQ salt.

I use the kosher whenever it's NOT critical. When my betta had it's muscle tissue exposed, I used the AQ salt water solution. Every other time when I needed salt I just used the kosher.

I have iodized table salt too, but it's main use is for CLEANING & melting slugs. I don't use ID salt in my food.

Also since I use the K salt so much because of the little troublemakers, I keep the extra salt in decorative shot glasses with a 1/2tsp measuring spoon for easier dispensing.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #15 
DiiQue

Quick question with the salt: can i leave the pump running, I dont know if it will damage the device? Also, since my filter had the carbon inside it, Should I take this out as well and just let it air dry? I'm not worried about having to restart my cycle since its just the one Betta in the tank.

Unfortunately I'm one heater short as I placed the hydor in the QT tank. The temp at night gets to the low 70s... Sometimes to 65... Though you got me thinking now MSG on doing that test. Gonna buy another Hydor now on Amazon. Lol...
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #16 
prodrumernate

im not sure what my heater can do.got it off of craigslist with a bunch of other great things i now use.i still cant find all uses for everything.not enough aquariums..i want to get a snail to put in my 10 gallon since i wont use it for my bettas.my rosy reds are tail nippers.tore my male fins apart,he is now recovering.though he didnt care.he actually flashes his fins to the female sitting next to him.

i have tons of table salt.my dad likes to play around with it making different colors as a little side hobby.but thats a good idea having it as a decorator salt so its close by and not sitting in a big bulky container or hidden.,i need to do that.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #17 
prodrumernate

you can leave it running.dont forget salt water aquariums run all the time..its better to dissolve the salt in a cup or something first then put it in the tank.i actually would put salt in my filter to help dissolve and circulate it.filter is running as good as the day i got it.

i too am a couple heaters short.both my bettas r in a 1 gallon or smaller.temporary places until i get their tanks cycled.well now i need to buy a new 1..just waiting for my work to say when i can start.

my 2 gallon has a heater with a female in it.my 10 gallon i can take the heater out since the fish in it can handle lower temps.my apartment doesnt get any lower than 75 during the summer and about 68 during the winter.considering where i live.we dont even use heaters during the winter inside our apartment.doesnt get cold enough.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #18 
DiiQue

Okay pulled out all the plants and added the AQ salt. Kinda sad because it looked like the plants all settled in nicely to the tank... A lot of bright green new growth, especially on the swords... The brown algae also all disappeared from their leaves.. Hopefully they survive the sudden water and temp change.

Stupid me, I just stuck my hand in to grab the plants and only noticed after the fact that there were tons of the ich all over the place.. I guess they are now in the next stage of their life where they are going hunting for a host... Hope they like all the salt I dumped in there. Will have to monitor Mr. Conductor even more closely in his QT. Also have to monitor my arm to see if I start getting white dots... LOL.

The shining light tonight I guess is with the hydor heater... Checked the temp on the QT and its at what the hydor was set to -77degrees. If it keeps up tomorrow morning I'll readjust it to a higher temp.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #19 
MSG

My bettas survived 95 degree tanks for about 2 days. I don't recommend you try that with yours.

There's so many different heaters on the market, I would get a different brand if the prices are similar.

That's how I killed most of my plants.... By messing around with the root system too much & not giving them any extra nutrients through a liquid fertilizer/root tabs.

In fact, I've NEVER used a liquid fertilizer for any of them.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #20 
prodrumernate

as long as u give them the nutrients they need and plenty of light they will be fine.mine are growing great now that i got better lights..how did u get rid of the brown algae on the leaves?mine are consumed in it rite now..

dont go swimming in any pools or anything ;)

77 is a good temp for the fish..sometimes my apartment gets down to like 74,no heater in the smaller tanks rite now.my fish are just fine.