Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
Panzer

free tank

found a free tank on craigs list. Ten gallons. Top w light that is burned out. Hanging filter. Question i have is should use the filter. All eqüipment had cacium buildup. Tank had to be cleaned w vinegar and water.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 
megaredize

I personally wouldn't but thats mainly because I use aquaclears on all my tanks and i dont even keep the filters that come with my 10 gallons. But if you cleaned the filter out good im sure it would be fine you will just have to cycle it like a new filter.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I had my first experience with an aquaclear the yesterday and I AM HOOKED! I dont think ill ever use anything else...so quiet and calm, and nice looking low profile...wonderful :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Frankly, I wouldn't use the filter. Most of the stuff that comes with kits are low-quality. I would just get a sponge filter or an Aquaclear (hands down, the best HOB out there). Sponge filters are much gentler on the long and delicate fins of a betta.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #5 
Panzer

Do most people use filters on their 10 gallons? Could I go without a filter and still have great results for my betta? What would be the difference in water changes?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #6 
Jupiter

I haven't had a 10 gallon without a filter before...I'm not sure how well you could preform a 100% water changes with a bigger tank like that. You could always try going the NPT route too I guess?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Do most people use filters on their 10 gallons? Could I go without a filter and still have great results for my betta? What would be the difference in water changes?
Most people I know use filters on their 10 gallon tanks. I know one man who didn't have a filter, and the biggest problem he ran into was even heating. The top was 78F like the heater was set to, but the bottom hung around 67F. That's not good for fish (of which he had none because this was an experiment). He also had the problem of water movement. The water did get a little stagnant and smelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I haven't had a 10 gallon without a filter before...I'm not sure how well you could preform a 100% water changes with a bigger tank like that. You could always try going the NPT route too I guess?
You don't even have to go the NPT dirt route (which is called the Walsted method; a NPT is just one that doesn't use really high lighting and injected CO2). All you need is enough plants to absorb the fish waste. I have a few tanks that are technically NPT because they have o nitrates. The plants use it all before the BB can. But I still have filters for water movement and do my weekly water changes to replenish the minerals in the water. Water changes aren't just to remove the nitrate.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #8 
Panzer

Just bought a aqua clear 20 from amazon for 16.99. Soaking a piece of driftwood I bought while checking the tank for leaks. Can't wait to get cycling.