Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 
GaspeGirl

Exclamation I Just Don't Understand ... Any Advice???

Hello everybody,

Just wondering if you all can help me with Anthony; I came back from 2 weeks away and it looks like he has lost his tail fin. It looks like a little stump, that's all that is left.

So, I am assuming it is a bad case of tail rot so I am treating him with AQ salt bath, it's only his second day. This is baffling to me because I am religious about his care and provide good food and fresh warm water. I am scared it will advance into body rot, you know? It may even be there and I just can't see it.

So, I need some help .... should I give him some different medication here?? His last bout was a while ago but it didn't look this serious. My husband was watching him when I was away and I guess he didn't notice his fin dissolving ... it's black along the edges in some spots. He's a friendly little fella so I'd like to keep him around a while longer!!! Is Anthony going to die??

Housing
What size is your tank? 16g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 Pygmy corydoras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice per day, fasting on Sunday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% midweek PWC, big cleaning 1x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% PWC, 75% big cleaning
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, API Stresscoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? All WNL, water is very hard and contributes to his fins curling

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail fin has almost disappeared
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hides a lot in his Betta log
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday, back from holiday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Sunday, in AQ salt hospital tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he had slight case of fin rot a while back; bloating once when he ate Crusty the shrimp months ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years
GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Well that does sound pretty severe, and I'm sure someone more experienced with fin rot will chime in as well - but I think you are probably doing the right thing with the aquarium salt treatment. Make sure to keep the water clean and warm, and maybe put him in a hospital tank so you can monitor him more closely! I've also heard that feeding them a higher protein diet when fin rot sets in helps, like freeze dried blood worms and if you have access to mosquito larvae that would be great too.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 
lelei

Hello and Welcome your fishy has tankmates, would they fin nip..sounds like fin nipped or tail biting, maybe he took out a chunk on his own..if you are seeing the black at the edges, it could be fin rot, but as long as you treat with clean, warm water, and only 1tsp of Aq salt per gallon, for 6-7 days, in a QT tank..I think would be the best option..

however, If you can you post a pic to make sure it is fin rot..sometimes it may not be, and you don't want to treat for something your not sure of..a pic would help~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
GaspeGirl

Hi!

@ Sapphoira Thanks for the reply, I have him in his QT hospital tank sitting on the sand bottom in his big 16g tank. I drained the water low enough to make this work. The pygmies are in the big tank water and Anthony is in his own tank with a tank. lol That way they can share the heater and stay nice and warm. I am doing 100% water changes. I actually do have some bloodworms I can give him so I will do that.

@lelei Thanks for the answer, his tankmates are three tiny pygmy corys and they would never nip or attack Anthony. Anthony actually tries to chase them sometimes but of course he is like a lumbering giant relatively and never even comes close to the speedy corys. I don't think Anthony can even reach the spot that has disappeared as he is rather, er, portly. I will try to post a closeup pic of poor Anthony.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 
GaspeGirl

IMG]http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=2895&pictureid=27884[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 
GaspeGirl

Anthonys Tail

Try #2
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 
GaspeGirl

I guess it's really hard to see but it's that flat section with the black edge - it's a huge piece! Oh and I did add IAL to the quarantine tank.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 
lelei

I just noticed that with my long finned VT..and it was freyed looking from the filter..but the IAL and warm clean water will heal it up in no time..my fishy is alteady healed and it was about a week ago
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #9 
Aus

If it were me, I would run out and buy some Furan-2 and/or Kanaplex (they can be used together to smack severe quick-moving fin/body rot, etc) just in case of a nasty bacterial infection that moves fast and doesn't respond to salt.

You may not need to use it. But to me, two weeks is a very short time for a fish to lose his entire tail in, especially as it's 16 gallon and filtered, tankmates are peaceful and you keep the tank pretty clean as a whole. I mean, ammonia builds up quick - tankmates help there - BUT it just seems odd to me indeed that his tail's degraded like that so very quickly.

That's why I'd be concerned about a fast-moving bacteria and have the antibiotic 'cavalry' on call just in case..

Hopefully it's not that bad and salt will help slow or stop the rot, and then it's a matter of healing.. heavy on the IAL, lots of clean water.

But yeah. I'd have the meds handy in case.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #10 
randy84

I haved used dried bannanna leaves for quick results I boil them into a tea let the water cool and add leaves and tea to water helps with healing process ant its also like an antibiotic. but dont forget the aquarium salt it is a must.
randy84 is offline   Reply With Quote