Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #91 
GaspeGirl

It's time for an update!!

So, Anthony and the little fellas (gals?) are back together in the big tank, and were they ever excited! Anthony went back to his favourite flare points in the tank and immediately did some major territory-claiming! lol Then, he went back to his lair in the top rear section of the tank, except with no floaty log. He lurked in there so much, I think I didn't notice his affliction sooner partly because of that!!

The corys were excited too, and seemed to enjoy this regular sand mix way better than the black Flourite sand as I had previously. They have mostly been nose down and tail up - looks like total catfish happiness to me!

So, I am posting three photos I took tonight. I am not entirely certain what I am looking at there, but whatever that is on his end part seems to be getting bigger. I am hoping the more senior members can have a look and let me know what they see! Also, I am wondering, so many of us have fin rot problems ...... would it be advisable or inadvisable to maybe do a prophylactic AQ salt treatment with or without obvious rot symptoms, say maybe every 2 or 3 months??? I was thinking it might stave off an attack?? Or would that be too hard on him?? I don't know. And I certainly don't want to experiment on him!!

Thanks everybody!!
Attached Images

GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #92 
Sakura8

I truly have no idea what that could possibly be but it sure doesn't look like new fin growth. I've gone ahead and messaged Oldfishlady to see if she knows what it could be. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's almost like his bone is growing out of his body at an odd angle. But that can't be it. It's . . . very weird. But I'm very encouraged to hear that he seems to be acting very normal. That's a good sign. He looks good. His fins are full and flowing, no clamping, and he even looks like he might be flaring in the last pic. He's got his spunk!

I know many breeders of bettas and other fish do prophylatic salt treatments. Many people who have a big stake in the hobby put all new purchases straight into salt and/or antibiotics and antiparasite meds before ever adding them into their tank systems. If the salt treatments are done within the time frame - no more than 10 days, 14 at the very maximum - and every 3 months or so apart, I don't see how it could do any harm. This, along with keeping the water clean and the fish unstressed, are the best ways to prevent fin rot or any other disease.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #93 
lelei

The best thing is that he is eating, and actively swimming, and overall looking ok, despite what is going on, That is a very good sign, It's just boggling what it could be, and why no method of treatment is working..I am soo sorry..I sure hope OFL can help with this one..it is strange..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #94 
GaspeGirl

Good Morning,

Thanks for weighing in on this strange situation .... he is very, um, unique-looking right now.

He certainly seems happy enough; swimming around, eating well, flaring in his usual tank areas and I think his fins look really great! He swims from side to side, top to bottom, and likes to hang in his new floating frogbit plants. He has attempted a few times to make a bubble nest in one corner but the Fluval filter keeps destroying it even on the lowest flow and most oblique direction setting. So, the sooner he is set up in the EJ Aquastyle tank the better, but there is no urgent rush now that the big tank is looking pretty good. If I had to guess at what that protuberance might be I'd say he suffered a bad injury to his tail and that is the tail stock trying to regenerate. BUT honestly I am only super guessing here. I am hoping it is not a tumour of some kind, just a body part ......of some form or another! I'd be so appreciative if OFL can take a look, that'd be great! She may remember saving him last year, when he ate Crusty, the RCS. After 3 days of monitoring the interactions Crusty just disappeared ... and Anthony was twice his normal belly size. Sad day for me, then.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #95 
lelei

Is that a hole/open area..(in the pic it's hard to tell) on the part of his missing fin over the body area? that is a lill disturbing, looking but as long as he is acting normally it's amazing:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #96 
GaspeGirl

Hi Lelei

I'll have to try and get a better photo using my big camera so there will be more detail. Also there is IAL in the tank so it is darker than regular water!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #97 
Sakura8

Hi there! OFL believes it could be a buildup of scar tissue, since he lost so much fin and since the rot touched his body. I'm not sure if this buildup will ever fall off.

Curious, but have you tried to touch it? Just wondering if it stiff or if it is flexible.

Either way, it doesn't seem like it's bothering him and it seems benign so unless it gets just enormous and starts to hinder his swimming ability, I'd just keep an eye on it. There's even a possibility that he could just knock it off someday while swimming.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #98 
GaspeGirl

Hi there!

Thanks for all the info! If he knocks it off some day, I sure hope I'm not a witness!

So, for now, just keep on keeping on?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #99 
GaspeGirl

Maybe a round of Kanaplex in 2 weeks?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #100 
Sakura8

If you think the infection isn't totally beaten, then a round of Kanaplex probably will help, just to be on the safe side. But if you don't see any black, then he may well be out of the danger zone, especially since he is acting well.