Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #21 
Aus

I don't blame you! It certainly looks nasty enough - how's your fish doing? Is he acting ill now?

I don't think this was rapid rot in just that one place - more likely a mechanical injury, yup. I'd get the antibiotic just in case of secondary infection (I like to keep some around.. you just never know.. ). I am very glad he's doing better with just IAL. Keep at it, maybe add a little AQ salt at 1 tsp per gallon to help stave off infection and see how he does in a few days.

Poor fish. >< I feel bad for him, from 10,000 miles away. lol.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #22 
GaspeGirl

Hi there,

No he isn't acting sick; in fact he made a small bubble nest in his hospital tank, and he is eating his NLS pellets OK. He is just hanging out in his QT tank with AQ salt and IAL. I'm thinking that salt water must sting but I guess the benefit outweighs that. I can't really think of how he got that way. His filter has a sponge baffle and there's really nothing else he can get in trouble in other than his floating betta log. Perhaps he got caught in between it and the side wall of the tank or something. There is no way for my cat Patches to reach him in the big tank has a cover, light, etc, on top. Having 2 hospital tanks is making it so much easier because I get a fresh one ready and then move him over at the right time and clean out the first tank ready for the next time. It's an awful looking thing and my heart almost stopped when I first saw it, that's for sure.
GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #23 
lelei

So glad to hear he is doing better..he may have bitten a good chunk out..but as soon as his tail starts growing back watch how he behaves with it..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #24 
GaspeGirl

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your input and positive vibes! This is a photo of what Anthony's tail looks like today after 5 days in his QT tank with AQ salt and IAL.

Does it look any better to you?? Should I continue on with the same treatment? He looks happy enough in there too so I wouldn't feel too badly about leaving him in there for at least 10 days.

Thanks alot!!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #25 
GaspeGirl

Umm, yes that is a cat nose in the background - it is Duff who is so fascinated with Anthony and totally passive toward him! lol
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #26 
lelei

Omg,..if you didn't point that out,,I would of missed it..lol..wow..too cute..love that pic..but for your fishy..yes he needs about another 3 days treatment, I know how hard it is, but it is sooo worth it, when you see a lot of growth...so keep up the good work, he looks well..and in maybe 3or 4 days he should be much better..Keep us posted..I wish your fishy well..glad to see his is doing better..Love yur kitty:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #27 
Sakura8

We definitely have some rot here. I can see the necrosis in these pics, more so than I could in the other pic I saw. At this point, I would agree with Aus about trying Kanaplex/Furan-2 combo, since parts of the rot are creeping too close to his body for comfort.

Kanaplex can be pretty hard to find in-store and most often has to be ordered online. I recommend www.drsfostersmith.com, as the shipping is fairly reasonable (you can combine products from different pet categories so if you want to get cat treats or something for Duff, you can ). API Furan-2 is much easier to find, at most Petsmarts. You can start with Furan-2 and see how it goes and if he doesn't show any progress with just that, get the Kanaplex.

In the meantime, Fungus Cure won't do anything. As Aus said, the condition it's meant to treat, columnaris, isn't even a fungus, it's a bacterial infection. To the best of my knowledge, Fungus Cure won't even treat the one true fungus that bettas do get, saprolegnia. As for Maracyn . . . best to wait for Furan-2. Both Maracyn meds are not very effective medications anymore, as they have been used so often that many bacteria have developed a resistance to it. In addition, it is not effective in waters with high pH. It can potentially become quite toxic if used after its expiration date or if a mixture is premade before use.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #28 
Tikibirds

it dosen't look any better but it also dosen't look like it has gotten worse either. I would go with what sakura said and use some meds. I have to get most of mine online as petco does not sell anything useful. You can try amazon or ebay and see which is cheaper. I think I would continue with the salt till the meds arrived though. However, once you stop the rot, his fins will grow back. I also have a blue CT and when I got him - almost all of this top fin and tail fin were rotted away.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Aquabid also has some meds that are cheap, although who knows how old they are.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #30 
GaspeGirl

Hello everyone,

So this morning he is the same, hanging out in his tank-within-a-tank setup. Wasn't too interested in his NLS pellets at breakfast.

Today I am going out to get the meds mentioned above and give that a try. I'm sure it would say in the instructions but just so there is no confusion would I add the meds into the salt bath too?? Or just Prime and the meds?

ha ha I know Duff looks like he means business but really he is a big marshmallow at heart. I know, he is a marshmallow with nails! See attached pic, it's funny!
Attached Images