Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1 
ItsAZoo

Question Unusual Behavior After Tank Change..

Hello-

So, a bit ago, I did a 100% water change on my betta's tank. Just like every week, nothing unusual. As soon as I put him in, I noticed that he zoomed (the only word that seems to properly describe it) to the bottom and almost started to lay on the rocks. He didn't stay long, he would get up, and venture to another corner, push his face in the rocks, and then lay on them once more. I also noticed that he then frantically swam to the top, and gulped some air.

Since then, I have lowered the water level a bit. His gills are also going a tad faster than normal. He won't eat pellets, so he's been getting worms since I purchased him (about 2 months ago). He seems to be enjoying them very much, and I've had people ask me what I'm feeding him because he looks very vibrant. Anyway, I've tried to offer him his wormies since the tank change, and he isn't interested.

He's surfacing quite a bit more than usual too. Now as I'm typing, he's hanging out at the surface and not moving.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance..

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but the house is always 75 degrees.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze dried worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% Due to a lost fin
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Faster, odd behavior
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Laying on rocks, not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1/2 hour ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? When I first purchased him, he had fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would say 1-2 years

Last edited by ItsAZoo; 08-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
ItsAZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Did you acclimate him to the new water? And you should really get a more varied diet for him and a heater. The water needs to be a tad bit warmer but it's fine IMO. The bloodworms are really just treats and you should be giving him a high-quality pellet food as the staple. The worms are also prone to bloat Bettas. You should also be doing more changes as the tank is small and the ammonia will build up quickly. I'm not sure what else has been happening, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
ItsAZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Did you acclimate him to the new water? And you should really get a more varied diet for him and a heater. The water needs to be a tad bit warmer but it's fine IMO. The bloodworms are really just treats and you should be giving him a high-quality pellet food as the staple. The worms are also prone to bloat Bettas. You should also be doing more changes as the tank is small and the ammonia will build up quickly. I'm not sure what else has been happening, though.
Yes, I always do. He gets to be in his cup full of old water while he sits in the new stuff. <-- That's how we've done it for years. I'm still trying to find a type of pellet food he will eat, I've spent about 30 bucks trying to find something for this guy, and he always spits it out. I ordered a heater a few weeks ago, should be here soon. Hmm.. I heard from a friend that i shouldn't change it too often, or it kills all of the "good" bacteria.
ItsAZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Hm, maybe it's because he's old? Old Bettas usually get more sluggish and inactive. That's a waste of money. :l Have you tried dipping it in garlic juice? It will help entice the smell and taste. It will also help his organs a bit. Did you also try New Life Spectrum? You don't have to worry about the beneficial bacteria, you don't have a filter so there's not much use to it. You could still do more changes, it's better for your Betta. Could you add washed dried Oak Leaves or Indian Almond Leaves to the water? A few weeks?! That's a long time for shipping. Let me guess, free shipping?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #5 
Jully

Try cleaning out his tank again, use a net and try not to scare him, put him in his older water, if you have a ziplock bag pour enough water in it then carefully put him in the bag, close the bag let him float for 10 minutes, after a 10 minute float scoop some water from the tank and pour it in and wait 15 minutes, get your net and take him out of the bag from your net and let him swim out the net, if he doesn't come out pull the net gently to let him go. If he's still doing that, try adding stress coat and then make sure his tank is heated and put him in a dark room if you cannot cover the tank to make it dark.

For the food, do not feed him bloodworms each day, they are more like a treat not a everyday food, if he doesn't eat pellets trying a different brand, if he still doesn't like them try Tetra Betta mini flakes, or try a different type of tropical flakes. If he doesn't want to eat the flakes try getting twisers and then circling it around until he bites it, if he still doesn't want it let it in the tank after 5 minutes, remove the flake or pellet.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 
Jully

I would recommend "Nutrafin betta food" my bettas used to spit out flakes and the betta food, but after spitting it out they would eat it again.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

did you forget the water conditioner? or maybe something got into the tank that is upsetting him - like something off you hands?
I would change the water again with the gravel cleaning - just in case but instead of using as net as someone else said, use a cup. Its less stressful

Quote:
I ordered a heater a few weeks ago, should be here soon. Hmm.. I heard from a friend that i shouldn't change it too often, or it kills all of the "good" bacteria.
That is partially true but for tanks with an established cycle and for that you need a filter. For unfiltered tanks the only way to get rid of the ammonia is via water changes every week. Its best to do a 100% change and clean out the stuff in the gravel. Then do another one a few days later with only a 50% water change..so there should be 2 changes a week.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-23-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote