Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Holy smokes!!! Serious water trouble

I tested the water in Dumbledore's tank this evening and was shocked by my results. He currently resides in a 5.5 gallon tank with 3 silk plants, gravel, and a little pot for him to hide in. I've attached a picture of my results:

The order from left to right; ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
I couldn't tell if the green was between .5-1.0ppm or even 1.5ppm. Either way I was appalled. The nitrates don't look that good either. I immediately yanked Dumbledore out of the tank and did a 85%-90% water change and did a DEEP gravel vacuum. I have attached a picture of these results as well:

The order from top to bottom; ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

It's a wonder my fish isn't showing any signs of distress, discomfort or sickness, I did add a little extra Stress Coat into his tank to hopefully help him feel better. And the scary thing is...I just did a PWC of about 50% on Saturday. I usually clean his tank about twice per week, or at least once at about 50% maybe a little less if I cleaned it previously in the week, about 30-35% each time with a gravel vac.

So now I have 3 questions:
1. Why did this happen? I don't really understand the cycling process, but I have heard of people having "mini cycles".
2. How do I prevent these from happening? I guess just water changes, but how much should I change?
3. What would be the proper cleaning schedule for my tank? It's a 5.5 with a filter. The only reason I was cleaning it twice per week is because I have a 3 gallon and that's how often I clean it.

I'm really sorry for such a long post. I was almost in tears thinking about the harm I was causing my poor fish that I've worked so hard to take care of. Thank you all so much for your time and help.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

How long has the 5.5 been running? Are you running a filter? Sometimes, even with 2x weekly changes, waste and spoiled food can raise ammonia quite quickly. You did the right thing to fix the situation.

Cycling a tank is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the benefit of the fish by providing purer water than pwc's can. You might consider cycling your 5g.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #3 
LizzyP

It's been running for about 3 weeks, and yes it has a filter. Only reason I don't want to cycle it now is because I don't really have the time to monitor it. I just started school full time and that takes up most of my life.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote