Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 
lpfanatic2003

Over Aggression

I have a red crown-tail that I have named "Furred" (after a cat of mine that had an attitude) and he was in a divided 2 gallon tank. He managed to jump the divider and go after the fish on the other side. I know, I should not have even taken the chance but I did manage to get them separated without any injury. Furred had cornered my boyfriend's beta in its plants (also a male). Once I got Furred out of the tank I put him in his own 1 gallon with a plant. He's happy and all that, has even made a bubble nest once, but after that now every time I even look up at him he flares. The tank is on top of a bookshelf over my desk and we make eye contact and out come the gill plates. He literally flares at anything that moves.

I have read on some pages that flaring like this is stressful for them and I am wondering what I can do to calm him down. When it comes to feeding he even jumps out of the water when going after the pellets some times. He's my second betta and my boyfriend has owned several and has even worked in a store and even has to say that Furred is by far the most aggressive betta he's seen.

Does anyone know of any ways to calm my fish down before it has a betta heart attack?
lpfanatic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

He could be flaring either because he sees you or because of his reflection. Also, 2 gallons is too small for a divided tank...

As for being aggressive, my Buddha is worse than I originally thought. He was in a 5 gallon with Pudge but was removed due to him being sick. Pudge had jumped the divider after Buddha was removed, and I returned to find them both flaring at each other from separate tanks. Buddha however was thrashing against the tank trying to get at Pudge, who was just swimming around.

Buddha is large, and I'm positive that if anything were to happen, he'd be the one to either tear up or kill Pudge. It's a scary thought but it makes it that much more interesting.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
lpfanatic2003

When we had the 2 gallon divided tank it was a temp because somehow the fish got to us faster than the tanks we ordered and ended up getting it from Wal-Mart as an emergency home for them so they wouldn't have to stay in their "bowls" for longer than necessary.

I'm hoping to find some ideas on what to do for a new tank set-up on here. I know that with the way that Furred is growing he's going to need to be in a 5 gallon in the next month or so
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

The Hex 5 gallon tank is always something to look at :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
lpfanatic2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
The Hex 5 gallon tank is always something to look at :3
I was actually looking at one of those last night.