Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #11 
prodrumernate

he was getting it caught in something...almost sounds like fin rot with his fins getting black.i looked at the picture and cant really tell.

the medication could be stressing him out.try holding off on medication for a couple days and just change his water.see how he turn out.

my male's tail is getting better.all i do is change the water every couple days.or every day if i feel the need.

other than the fins being worse and black.are there any other symptoms?
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #12 
Kon

Hes acting like he normally does. He flares at his reflection and swimming around a lot. He really likes to eat too. And I think the black tips on his tail are part of his coloring, he's had them since I got him. The rest of his coloring is very bright and vibrant. He doesn't really make big bubble nests like he used to anymore. Also I noticed that its mainly torn on the top half of his back fin, but now the section under his belly is starting to look a little torn. I'm trying to take pictures of him, but its really difficult with him swimming around the entire tank like a madman.

And I'm glad that your betta is doing better :) I have been doing water changes every other day for my betta.

Last edited by Kon; 08-23-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #13 
prodrumernate

sounds and looks like fin rot to me..heres a little info off a site i go to to look at symptoms and cures...

"TREATMENT:

Do a full jar water change. Use tetracycline or Ampicillin (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) combined with Fungus Eliminator (included in our Betta First Aid Kit). Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. This may take up to 4 weeks, so don’t give up. Once rot stops and fins start growing back you can stop treatment, but not before then.
Note: If the rot is very slight or mild, you could use Maracyn I and Maracyn II (together at half the dose each) by Mardel. These med can help but are not very powerful. They come in hard tablet which is a real pain to administer. You'll have to crush them into a powder before you can administer to a betta in a bowl. A tablet treats 10 gal of water, so you do the math. Do not overmedicate! If you are caught by surprise and do not have a First Aid Betta Kit (naughty naughty), then you can run to a local Petco or something and probably find the Maracyn I & II and at least try that. My advice though? Be ready! Get your Betta First Aid Kit now so you have the real powerful stuff at hand and are ready when the you-know-what hits the fan! (or life will get real messy LOL)."

its mostly due to poor water..high ammonia in it,medications,things like that...ive gone through it a few times myself.all my fish recovered once i started changing water more and stopped adding med...

if u can and will.post once a day even with a pic if needed to let us know how its going.i want to make sure he recovers
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #14 
Kon

So is it just fin rot or is there also something ripping his fins too? When I first got him, I thought it was fin rot so I did a lot of water changes. But my dad told me it was just his coloring. (My dad used to breed bettas when he was a teen) Sadly my town doesn't have a pet store, only walmart. Closest Petsmart is about 45 mins away. But I'm going to see if my walmart have any fungal meds.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #15 
prodrumernate

i think something is or was ripping his fins and has turned into fin rot..keep watching his fins..here is a little more info and the link for where i got the info from with pictures.if it continues then i would say fin rot...walmart has very little selection of medication.luckily i live in walking distance of petsmart,petco and walmart.petsmart and walmart are in the same shopping center and petco is just about a mile or less down from that..i also have a neighborhood fish store.not even a half mile from me.

really the best for fin rot is what is in my previous reply.if it does continue to get worse.i would contact OFL(OldFishLady)shes great with these kinda things..if u can,tomorrow post another pic especially if it has gotten worse.1 of my girls has black around her fins like pen stripping.another 1 has blue.but the shape of ur guys fins doesnt seem like a natural color.i could be wrong though.

"SYMPTOMS:

Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving. There may be a darker color (or a reddish one) to the edge of the betta’s fins/tail. He may be still active and eating normally, or may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped, color may be pale."

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #16 
Kon

Thank you for the advice! I'm going to try to get the right meds for him soon and hopefully taking out the decor and filter will stop the ripping.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #17 
prodrumernate

no problem at all :) if the fin ripping does stop.slowly start adding things 1 at a time.so if it does rip.u know the last thing u added is causing it.i just noticed a rip on 1 of my girls fins.only thing in her bowl is a plastic plant.never had problems before.so i know its too sharp now :)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #18 
Kon

I just bought and add Jungle Fungus Clear to the tank. It came in a tablet that treats 10 gallons each so I crushed it up and divided it into eight parts so each would treat 1.25 gallons if I did the math right. It turned the water green and some of the decor turned blue~

Heres what his tail looks like now:

I think he's missing his little roman columns that I took out.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #19 
prodrumernate

seems he lost a little more on the top of his tail fin if im not mistaken.there are some medications out there that do change the water color.but as long as a filter is running it should go back to normal or after a water change.

its recommended to have a separate hospital tank.hopefully the fungal med will work.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #20 
Kon

So heres a twist, I think I found him nipping at his tail. He was bent in a circle and I saw something fly off, it looked like a bit of his tail. So I put his filter back in since he loves to sleep and hide behind it. Now I'm worried about stressing him out. I'm heading back to college tomorrow and I'm bringing him along since my family will be too busy to care for him. I use Aqueon Betta Bowl Plu Water Conditioner, is there an additive I could add to help him?

Here are some pictures:

His tail doesn't seem like it changed much from yesterday~

Tags
fin, fray, rot, tail