Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Brown spot?

Tonight when I went to feed my Neptune I noticed a small brown spot on his fin. He is what i believe is called cellophane in color so the brown spot is very light, but still easy to see. It isn't black or red so I'm not thinking fin rot. I've never noticed any fin biting either. It is right at the bottom of his bottom fin (not sure fish anatomy so I'm not 100% sure what the proper term is). He isn't acting any differently (eating, swimming, spazzing out at his reflection in the glass, etc..), but I did notice a few days ago his fin seemed to be folding up in that spot. It's very slight, but still enough I noticed. It is still folded up in that spot.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10G
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Apple Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day 2-3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends, but usually 20%-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:NA
Nitrite:NA
Nitrate:NA
pH:NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a small brown spot on his fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 8/20/2012 around 10:00 PM central standard time
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown, but I have owned since February 2012
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

1 of my girls has brown spot going across the bottom of her bottom fin close to the body.i believe its due to ammonia.once i started cleaning the water a little more it started to go away.its still there but is getting a little better.

i would try putting him in a hospital tank like a 1 gallon.putting in about 1/4 teaspoon of aquarium salt for a few days.the best thing is to keep the water clean.since u have a 10 gallon with no filter.and u have an apple snail.the ammonia might be building up a little more than u might think..even for a 10 gallon.

id do about 2 25% water changes a week making sure to vacuum up any waste at the bottom to help prevent ammonia build up.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote