Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 
fairy74

Should i be worried?

Man my fish are giving me headaches today..anyway one of my bettas has had a bloated tummy for several weeks now,she is fine in every other way and im assuming she is eating more than her share of the food(cories wafers for instance)I have crushed the wafers and dropped them directly to the bottom of the tank but they just love them.

If anybody could please look at the piccy and tell me what they think.
Attached Images

fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Her stomach is rather large, but she may just be eggy.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 
DragonFish

Shes a little on the big side I think, but nothing desperately horribly disastrous or anything. Its probably just as you said, shes stealing a few too many wafer pieces from the cories.

Probably best to fast her for a couple of days. As far as feeding the cories go, after turning off the lights for the night, wait a bit, then drop the wafer pieces in. The cories won't have any trouble finding them, but your betta should hopefully not be able to locate them as well.
Another option if you have trouble with that for some reason is to just simply scoop her up in the cup she came in/another small container and float her in the tank while you feed the cories(you can also feed her in the cup/container after you're done fasting her, maybe even train her to swim into the cup if she associates it with food.). You can also get a breeders net/box to float in the tank and catch her in for feeding time(same deal as the cup) if you like.

Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

How much do feed her? I used to feed my females 2 pellets twice a day & every other day I would drop the algae wafers, the females would GOURGE themselves on the wafers. I stopped feeding twice day & now feed 4 pellets in the evening & dropping the algae wafers as needed after the girls have eaten, the girls don't seem to care as much about the wafers. Also, have you tried dropping the wafers after lights out? She might not bother with the wafers in the dark.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #5 
fairy74

They have 4 pellets each once a day,but its always a frenzy and sometimes one would get more..and then they dive straight to the bottom to munch the wafers.

Is there any food the cories like that a betta does not so much?

I will try feeding the cories after dark in future...is it best to feed the bettas every evening just before the cories rather than morning when the lights go on?

I will float her in a container for a few days(makes me feel mean though)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 
DragonFish

...Sorry, a little confused now....do you have a Sorority set up or just this one female in there with the cories?

Generally, its best to break up the feedings to 2-3 pellets(depending on size)twice a day per fish(if you have a sorority, might want to take a look around the forum for other posts about how people with sororities go about feeding their girls.....I haven't had a sorority in a couple of years, so I don't know if my way of doing things is relevant). Their stomachs are about the size of their eye, so its better for digestion to feed less more frequently.

Unfortunately, generally bettas are little vacuums. I've heard of picky fish, but I've personally never had a betta that wouldn't try and eat just about anything and everything that could even possibly be considered food. And they don't have an 'I'm full I should stop eating' sort of off-switch....they're opportunistic feeders; if its there they'll eat themselves sick.

Lol, don't feel too bad...its only for a couple of days. xD Don't worry, its for her own good.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
...Sorry, a little confused now....do you have a Sorority set up or just this one female in there with the cories?

Generally, its best to break up the feedings to 2-3 pellets(depending on size)twice a day per fish(if you have a sorority, might want to take a look around the forum for other posts about how people with sororities go about feeding their girls.....I haven't had a sorority in a couple of years, so I don't know if my way of doing things is relevant). Their stomachs are about the size of their eye, so its better for digestion to feed less more frequently.

Unfortunately, generally bettas are little vacuums. I've heard of picky fish, but I've personally never had a betta that wouldn't try and eat just about anything and everything that could even possibly be considered food. And they don't have an 'I'm full I should stop eating' sort of off-switch....they're opportunistic feeders; if its there they'll eat themselves sick.

Lol, don't feel too bad...its only for a couple of days. xD Don't worry, its for her own good.
Thanks for the advice...i have four females at the moment in the tank with five more in QT to be added soon..so i wanted her to be better ready for the other girls arrival..lol sorry if im not making sense dam hayfever is scrambling my brain.(and i did write brian three times before getting it right:roll )
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Lol, no worries. xD I completely understand.

It might be a little better to get a breeders net or box to isolate her in instead of a cup if you can since she'll still kinda be 'in' the tank without being IN the tank....if that makes sense. At least, thats what I used to do with my sorority if I needed to separate out a girl for some reason.

Well best of luck! Hopefully feeding in the evenings after the lights go out will help, I know it can be tricky with all those spunky little girls darting about, lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 
fairy74

I have a breeders box but i sat on the lid and broke it today so will order a net from ebay as my pet shop doesnt sell them.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Awww, thats not good D:....but thank goodness for Ebay! xD