Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #41 
MSG

That stuff isn't necessary

The company makes those products for paranoid people. I would be more concerned about the girls ripping each others fins out because I don't think there's enough plants or decorations in your 29-30G for the weaker girls. If one of the females gets really aggressive, you may have a problem. But due to the size of your tank, it might work.

As for me.... all the decorations in my tank NEED to double as something the bettas can use to HIDE in, otherwise I won't place it in the tank.

Just check your water parameters and make sure the temperature is good.

I don't like adding medication to the entire tank because it can messed up the filtration.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #42 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The company makes those products for paranoid people. I would be more concerned about the girls ripping each others fins out because I don't think there's enough plants or decorations in your 29-30G for the weaker girls. If one of the females gets really aggressive, you may have a problem. But due to the size of your tank, it might work.

As for me.... all the decorations in my tank NEED to double as something the bettas can use to HIDE in, otherwise I won't place it in the tank.

Just check your water parameters and make sure the temperature is good.

I don't like adding medication to the entire tank because it can messed up the filtration.
Most of my decor has hiding places..you can see in pics(the gargoyle hs a whole in the back)i think i will get a few more midground plants though.
Attached Images

fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #43 
teeneythebetta

beautiful tank!

yes, some tall plants in the space around the crystal ball would help a lot.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #44 
Goldie2nd

Awespome tank but is that sand?
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #45 
fairy74

Yes its sand..so much easier to clean in my opinion.

And thanks for the lovely comments,looks pretty cool in the evening with the colour changing crystal ball.

Forgot to add, the sick betta is still bloated,havnt seen any poop yet unless its white.She is still in epsom salt and acting normal.also today will be the third day without food..how long should i wait to feed her again?

Last edited by fairy74; 08-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #46 
fairy74

I tried to feed the sick female this evening but for the first time she was not interested..she kinda went to eat but missed and just slowly swam off,i put one right in front of her but she again swam away.

Day four in epsom salt and i really ought to admit defeat and she will only get worse.

Is it worth me trying her with any meds?
Also one of my albino cories had died overnight..she was tiny though and i think she may have been out competed for food as the other two are bigger and the bronze cories even bigger than them.

I am watching the other girls like a hawk for any swelling(i think i even imagine a little on them)but all seems well right now,just really sad for the sick girl.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #47 
Goldie2nd

aww i'm sorry I don;t know what to say abotu your sick girl wish i had any advice.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #48 
MSG

I like the magic castle theme, but I've noticed my girls don't like to HIDE in caves. I've watched them and they love to swim through crevices and crawl underneath little rock tunnels, but most of them WON'T enter a cave.

The true test is when all the girls minus the bloated one go into the tank. My opinion is there's NOT enough plants & I would add 2-3x more.

I understand it doesn't look that good when there's plants everywhere, but with sororities, it REALLY does help minimize the fights.

When I tried to clear the front of my sorority tank of plants to make it more visually pleasing to me.... it seems to have increased the fighting.

• How long ago have the breeder bettas been in QT?
  • How many bettas in the 30G?
  • One of those banana plants would look good, they're usually pretty cheap too.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #49 
fairy74

The sick betta had died overnight RIP Venus.

Im so paranoid now that they are all going to get whatever she had.

Is it best to clean her 1 Gallon with vinegar or diluted bleach solution? i feel bad as she could probably have been treated as she started getting bloated in the 7 gallon biorb and then was moved to the 30 gallon so she had bloating for some weeks but i thought she was just being very greedy as she was boss.

She was very pretty.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #50 
teeneythebetta

Oh no I'm do sorry!
Dropsy is very hard to treat, even in the beginning stages. It's a tough little thing.

I hope your other girlies will be okay :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote