Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, I agree. People really need to start taking better care of their fish. If they can't get proper supplies for 1 fish, what about 2? It doesn't hurt to research until your head blows, you're going to take care of an animal. Their life is in YOUR hands! When I started fish keeping, I spent over $180!! But then, I bought better food, a better heater, but I can't upgrade so I make my Betta's food and surroundings better. I already cycled my tank and bought a test kit over $30! If you can't or don't want to take care of an animal, don't get it at all.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #12 
gn3ranger

I agree with this. After seeing this post I went online and bought a new gravel cleaner :). GF 1 month of membership of my online game,but its worth it seeing My Betta "Phillip" happy makes it all the better.

I have budgets for everything had to take out of my entertainment budget for my fish budget :).I also have budgets for my rat,lizard,etc.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-21-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

On all the tanks I have had/have... I have spent a near $3000 in supplies and tanks. And that's just since June of last year... I have 15 Bettas, a community tank and a convict cichlid tank. Doesn't seem like much but fish can get expensive when you properly take care of them. Is is pretty tempting to go out and collect Bettas though, that I do understand. I took home 4 boys when I started with Bettas, all had 1g tanks but upgraded as I went along. When I got a new one, the old ones would get a new bigger tank etc... but I agree... better to spoil the one(s) you have than to go out and get more you can't afford :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #14 
NeoViking

lol half my wages are gone on my pets this month XD
It's the way I do things: Pets first THEN buy nice stuff for myself.
Bettas are pets, not table decorations. they get treated with the same priority as my dogs, cats and rats (:
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #15 
Jully

I agree, but remember there are families, and people who have younger daughters or sons who always wanted a fish and parents ether buy them for their birthday or Christmas, but usually don't know how expensive their fish really would be. Some families are poor, yes they may have Iphones and cameras and such, doesn't mean they are rich. I have an Ipod touch, and a LG sunshine plus phone, but my mom is so busy since I have 4 sisters and 5 brothers, it's hard to buy things now these days. And I don't live in America, so there isn't much things for fish anymore, and the prices are so much higher. I love America, and love the aquariums they sell at their stores. In Canada it's not that impressive. I waited 2 years for my Ipod touch, waited 2 months after my birthday on the 31st of December my mom was able to buy me an Ipod after going to 20 stores looking through for a white one, she had to travel to white rock, all for my birthday and I appreicaite it <3

Anyways, when we bought my bettas my mom pointed at both a halfmoon and a crowntail and asked me if I wanted to get these, I said "Why not?" since I had a divider, at the time I was stupid and read about sites saying "They can live in tanks under 2 gallons and live in puddles" Now that I came to Bettafish.com I learned more, and me and my mom spent over $200 for just a tank that's 3 gallon which was $69.99 and a few plants that were $40 per plant, I had to do it for my betta. I even told my mom she doesn't need to get anything for my birthday since I made her spend so much money.

Not all people can afford things, it's just that they really want the fish for a reason. For people who just buy the fish and put them in a bowl and never care, or go near it those people just make me mad. But poor families who have kids who cannot have a pet, they can open their eyes to one of these beautiful fish and give them a home they need, some try their best even though they cannot afford much. But rich people whom buy small tanks as a decoration, I just blow up and get mad.

I do agree, but remember what I said ;)

Last edited by Jully; 08-22-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A good point, Teeny, and very well stated. Thank you for that post.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #17 
teeneythebetta

@Jully
I completely know what you're saying- some people can't afford supplies.
What I'm saying is- if you can't afford the supplies for your fish, DON'T GET ANOTHER FISH. (;

I'm not downing people whO cannot afford it, I totally understand that! But when people cannot afford it and know they cannot afford it, yet they bring home another betta- that's the point of this thread. (:
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #18 
magnum

Teeny I totally agree. I love that you made this post and it reflects just how much people care about their fish in order to let themselves go without. I've spent at least $300 in owning my three boys in just the few months I've had them. But I'm so happy with the way the money is spent, because a fish's life is more important than giving $50 to re-activate my X-box account.

But also, Teeny as you said, don't get another Betta if you can't afford to give him the requirements to keep him happy. I am currently looking for a new Betta, and I'm taking my time. I have a list of questions I ask myself before even deciding if I want to go ahead and buy the fish. Do I have the room? Do I have the time? Can I keep up with water changes? Can I afford all the extra's of tank maintenance? And many others. All these variables affect the well-being of your fish. If you can't meet these requirements with one fish, how do you expect to manage them with two, three even four fish? People need to think on how this effects the fish, and not just themselves. Fish are living creatures to.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #19 
fairy74

I find part of the fun and excitement is getting all your little bits together ready for your fish..if your gonna do it you may as well do it properly,a little bit here and there as and when you can afford it.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #20 
Aus

I'd rather see people keeping their bettas in 5 gallon buckets with a heater in than in those stupid dinky half gallon deathtraps that hardly fit a fish, let alone a heater.

A bucket costs about $1.99. The end.

I recently saw someone here being looked down on for keeping their bettas in food containers. Well - who gives a crap, really, as long as it's safe, has a lid, a good water volume and fits a heater?

When it comes down to it, you could keep a dozen fish in buckets with a heater each and a handful of java moss and they'd all be very happy as long the water was changed regularly.

I simply don't understand people who can't provide basic care (even as basic as a tupperware container or bucket! never mind emergency care kits, good food, good conditioner, etc) and still go buy (or worse, "rescue"..) yet another fish.

Last edited by Aus; 08-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote