Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #51 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I agree if you are going to rescue a fish you should make sure you know how to 'rescue it'
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #52 
Pogthefish

Agreed!! ^
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #53 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Don't even get me started on the people who see a sick fish, "rescue" it without knowing what the fish has, asks for help on the forum, and then writes a laundry list of reasons for why the treatment is too expensive or unavailable.
ENDLESS RAGE.

I actually went onto the petsmart website and totalled up how much a fish is going to cost me with everything included before I even stepped foot into the store. I stalked this forum for about 2 months before writing up said "invoice" (if you'd like to call it that, LOL) making sure I got everything I need. Another month passed before I accumulated enough disposable income to purchase a safe and happy home for a betta.

I have NEVER had any pets growing up. No dog, no cat, no nothing. I have loved animals since day one because a lot of my friends had pets. The urge for me to just go randomly adopt a cat or dog from petsmart or shelter is so great; yet I know, responsibly, I cannot possibly afford one right now. Granted it is easier to impulse buy a fish, but still the responsibility is still there, regardless of how small the animal is. It doesn't help that I live a few minutes away from the nearest shelter, haha
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #54 
babystarz

I guess I'm just odd, I buy things for my fish even when it means I'm going to be eating ramen for the week XD At last count, I had:
1 14 gallon tank
1 9 gallon tank
10 3-6 gallon tanks
3 2 gallon tanks for hospital/quarantine/fry grow out

Every tank AT THE VERY LEAST has an adjustable heater, thermometer, filter, and at least two plants and a cave. If someone isn't prepared to offer such basic care, they shouldn't have and don't deserve to have a fish.

I also wish people would stop saying they are "rescuing" fish from pet stores. Buying a fish from a place like this is not a rescue. It's supporting them and paying them to keep fish in deplorable conditions. If anything, it encourages them to keep doing it so the fish look pathetic enough for guilt purchases. If you bought a puppy from a puppy mill, no one would call that a rescue. It's simply contributing to the problem from the consumer's end.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #55 
Pogthefish

^agreed, but sometimes you just can't help it! I usually buy the sick ones that are free, though.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #56 
nel3

ive spent $600-700 on all of the fish items i have currently. my gecko has put me $200-300 for one. the unit price per pet is different but the amount of fish wins out. all this doesnt take into hydro and electricity bills which dont make it much on the list as its not only pet related.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #57 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

The $200 was spent on 4 ten gals, a five gal, gravel, decorations, 2 heaters, 4 light fixtures, 1 canopy, 2 stands, and a few little things i still need a ton more stuff to have the tanks up and running i have to work very hard as any one who properly cares for their bettas does owning fish is not to be taking lightly having a fish takes time, money, commitment, and alot of love for the little guys :)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #58 
Thomasdog

I spend ALL my money on my animals. NO joke, every penny this 13 year old get goes to her animals, buying food, toys, bedding, tanks, plants, homes, collars, leashes, treats, live food, live plants, live aquatic plants, brushes, ect. If you are TRUELY an animal lover, you will love your animals more than it feels possible, no matter what your limits are. If a parent is unsupportive, you must work around it for the benefit of your pet, if you really love them.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #59 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I'm 13 too and its same with me i am almost broke i have a horse, a cat, and of course my fish every penny i get is gone from new tack, farrier bills, tanks, fish meds, new fish filters, heaters, filters, cat toys, and food for all them. my parents always complain money burns a hole in my pocket well if i saved it my pets would starve!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #60 
LebronTheBetta

It's great even more people here are my age. ;) I just started middle school and so far so busy... My money my parents give me are all spent on Lebron. Well, like everyone said... If you can't care for it, don't buy it! Excuses people make. 8I
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote