Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #11 
tpocicat

I'm an older fish keeper. When I started keeping fish many many years ago, my local water supply didn't add chlorine to the water. That may be where the idea that conditioners aren't needed.
As the population grew, it became necissary to add chlorine. I've always added conditioner even when chlorine wasn't added to the water because it still helps with the ammonia buildup.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #12 
Kitty Whiskers

I always use conditioner in my tanks even when I'm not adding tap water during a water change. (sometimes I use Distilled or Spring water) Besides, doesn't some conditioners help with the fish's slime coat and relieve stress in new or sick fish, such as Stress Coat conditioner? That's the kind I use.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #13 
bahamut285

I don't think the idea should be to DISREGARD EVERYTHING from oldschool fishkeeping knowledge.

I think *adapting* older ideas into a newer idea is closer to the evolution of knowledge. Granted yes, technology tends to outdate methods rapidly (i.e. email vs snail mail); but stuff like fish keeping should evolve ideas rather than do away with the old.

Some people here have to fill buckets with the tap outside the house (one that connects to lawn sprinklers and such) because their indoor tap is not good to drink/not good for fish. Now, USUALLY the outside tap water is pretty cold, too cold for your fish.

So you can fill up a bucket and leave it overnight inside. Not only will the chlorine evaporate out (NOTE: chloramine doesn't evaporate out as quickly, and even then it leaves ammonia behind) but you will raise it to room temperature.

Using a dechlorintaor is just faster and more convenient if you need to do an emergency water change, and you don't happen to have an aged source of water anywhere.

@Kitty_Whiskers: I suggest you cease using distilled water. It messes up water chemistry quite a bit and does not provide nutrients required for healthy fish
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #14 
homegrown terror

i said to disregard outdated ADVICE, not to disregard veteran fish lovers just because they're older than you :) sorry if that was unclear.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Chloramines are the concern today, yes, they don't evaporate.
I remember Byron on TFK told me he never used dechlor for years on end, because his tap water never had chlorine. One day, the city started adding chlorine to the water supply without warning. Huge fish die out. x__x
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

May be bad for fish they added in water but for people it is good to kill mosquito larvae and other bacteria.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #17 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
May be bad for fish they added in water but for people it is good to kill mosquito larvae and other bacteria.
Theoretically too much chlorine can kill a human too. The water company obviously only adds enough to kill bacteria and not kill their clients...XD
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Technicaly in natural form chlorine is a deadly gas also chlorination water can kill plants too.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #19 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Technicaly in natural form chlorine is a deadly gas also chlorination water can kill plants too.
Plants (and humans and animals) require some amounts of chloride to survive, depending on the size/composition. I know most topsoils that you can buy in stores have around 10-15ppm of chlorides to promote healthy plant growth...which is way more than the concentration recommended for swimming pools.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

yeah but a steady diet of tap water can kill African violets I use my aquarium water for plants.