Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 
Jully

Exclamation Tank Is It Ready?

Hello, 2 years or about a year ago we got a 55 gallon fish tank from someone, or it was ours, anyways it had 2 filters, a heater, some colorful plants, and much more. Anyways, we had fish in that tank but they would end up dying due to the horrible information the Pet Store given us, and they were sick and we didn't even notice.

Anyways, About a week or three weeks or a few days ago, my mom and I went to Pet Habitat and bought a new fish tank it was a 3 gallon Water Wonders aquarium while we were at Pet habitat my mom asked the guy "Can those Neon Tetras live with my daughters Betta?" And he was like "No, he would probably eat them then laugh" then I butted in and said "Actually they can live with betta's, they are both tropical fish, can eat the same food, and in groups of 6 they wont bother each other." He didn't say anything then said "Well, you can try it but they will most likely die, we cannot stop a customer from buying." Anyways, my mom loved having fish but due to her busy schedule she couldn't so she asked the guy "Would my tank be okay for fish?" And he said "Well what kind of tank it is?" Then she said "It's a 55 gallon tank" And he said "Yeah that's okay" then she said "Well, we had fish in it but they all died...." Then he said "Well, did you clean it?" And then she said "No, but we have 2 filters and they both been running for like a year?" And then he said "I don't think it'll be good, get the tank cleaned out" And she said "Oohh okay..." [Disappointed] then we left. Anyways a week or two ago or LONGER I took 4 - 8 hours scooping water out of the tank, then I got to the bottom, the water was BLACK like OIL when you move the gravel, my mom said just add new water because of the bacteria in it, but I couldn't handle it, it was black!!!! My mom was cleaning up the garage at the time so I scooped out a bucket of water, and she said "It's okay" then I did it again then she's like "Fine, clean it out." So then I was able to get the water very low and then I showed my mom "How do I get the rest of the water out" she said "We will empty it out in the gravel outside" [Instead of having grass we have gravel in our yard] Anyways, we emptyed the rest of the water, hosed the tank now. The hole time I was scooping the gravel and swishing it around till all the black stuff could come out but there was so much, so I could only do it as much as I could only certain amounts came out then I threw it in a bucket. After I was done, I put the gravel in, rinsed out the new plant I got from my other tank as it was an extra, rinsed out all the other decorations and then put water in it. I rinsed out the filters but they pretty much broke, but then when my dad came home he fixed it then put it back on the tank, but we aren't sure about the other filter.

Anyways, the water looks clean now, the tank has been running for weeks, I got the heater to work but sometimes it turns off :L then I have to twist the top [a ball on the top] to get it working. The only thing I am afraid of is the gravel is still dirty? I am not quite sure, but I remember when I had it in the bucket the water would be brown, I would just empty the dirty water, then when I moved the bucket again...Then emptied... It was quite annoying, but I finished it.

Do you think it's safe to put the tank in?!??!?! I want to put my other poor betta in it since he's been living in a 1/2 gallon tank with no heater or filter, but I don't want him to DIE if it's dirty, so I am waiting for my mom get's an open day and we can go to the shop to get more fish and if they die I know it's not safe for him, what should I do keep him in the 1/2 gallon, wait till the new fish come in, or introduce him to the new tank?

By the way I can add photos IF needed, the tank has a mirror that's the other problem V.V
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 
MistersMom

could you add photo's ? and i think the tank would be fine if you have conditioned it, and what not, are you the one who recently had leg surgery? or was that some one else? but please post a picture of the tank :3
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #3 
Jully

Haha, no I didn't have leg surgery must be someone else.

Okay, I'll try and get some pictures, I haven't add the water conditioner yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4 
Jully

My camera has to charge, once it gets enough battery I will take the pictures and post em.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 
MistersMom

okie dokie, sounds great! and sorry about the mix up lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 
Jully

Here is a picture, I took it on an angle, I need to get the heater right.

When me and my mom were walking downstairs I asked her if I should put my fish in and she said "Yes, because the tank has been cycling."
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #7 
Jully

Sorry, horrible camera.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #8 
MSG

Can't tell much from your picture, but I can see a powerful aquaclear filter.

I'm going to assume that's the AC50 or AC70. That will TEAR the fins off your betta. Unless you make some major modifications to your tank's filters I wouldn't put any type of betta in that 55 gallon tank.

What size is the tank are you currently keeping your betta in?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #9 
Jully

It's a 1/2 gallon, I just put him in the tank it was strong so I turned it off, I have a smaller filter that's way better, and hopefully doesn't have a strong current. I turned it off, so right now his heater is the only thing working, he has a mirror in the tank, V.V which I forgot about, my mom told me it'll be fine to put him in, because the tank is cycling nicely, so then I introduced him to the tank and my mom left, now he hates the mirror obviously, so I am trying to figure ways to cover it, or get a background the mirror is an inside mirror >.< I just emptied out his 1/2 gallon tank water so now I am stuck on what I am doing V.V ah, I always get bad luck.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 
MistersMom

itll all work out for you, can you take a full picture? of the whole tank? :) i hope your fish likes the room, he may spazz out, either way, a new filter is definitely a necessity and a good heater is always good.

Tags
dead fish, fish, older tank, safe, warning long