betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I like this thread.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #12 
Luimeril

i don't see too much bad aquatic pet care at the pet store i shop at. worst is Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings. they get the new shipments of fish in Wednesday afternoon, so by then, the poor dears have been there a week. was just there last Wednesday, actually. to look at the price of gravel. saw my first ever dead betta. the other boys were understandably stressed, but their cups were clean.

now, back in the day.... when i first started betta keeping. it was pretty bad. i'd see dead fish a lot. dead goldfish, mainly. their saltwater's always been kept pretty good, though..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah can not let their 80 dollar fish die. The worst I can remember is cave tetras in a tank with a lot of Glo-fish they were killing the the glo-fish and the tetras were fighting over the bodies. The store is pretty good overall. The petsmart the were in the tiniest Betta cups I've ever seen blue water stacked on each other and you can barely see them all. The employees at the petco are great they are in bowls but they are clean and you can see them all they can not see each other too. One of them said they have a Betta in a 10 gallon. It turns out we have the same size tank and same color chocolate. The guy was great he said he hated the smalls tanks sold too. He said they were forced too by corporate. Here the LPS shut down they were terrible. Petco is the best here with an occosinal problem and the pet smart is the worst except if you want large lucky bamboo.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #14 
Luimeril

these people generally know their stuff. when they get in the BIG shipments of bettas, they 'pimp them out'. HMs go into the half gallon 'betta tanks' so they have more room to show off(they don't say 'yeah! he can live in there just fine!' about them. even the newbies don't try and sell me betta tanks. 8U), and the veils go in the big tanks with peaceful fish. they even put fish in with the live plants, let them flit about in there, all happy and stuff. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sounds nice.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #16 
katydidmischief

Thankfully, due to the number of pet stores in the area, I have only been to this particular shop once and it was during my hunt for gravel. It was a harsh reminder why this shop has a crappy reputation--it's dirty, the tanks are overcrowded be it with fish or small pets, and the service sucks. I had guinea pigs for over a decade and I nearly cried when I looked into one of tanks and saw a momma with babies in what couldn't have been more than five gallons.

I'll stick to the other LPS and petsmart...
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It seems to depend on the area.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #18 
Kitty Whiskers

I was in a pet store once that had so much algae growing on the front of the tanks that you couldn't hardly see the fish! They were sick and they often died in the tanks but the store owner didn't take out the dead fish. He just said the other fish will take care of the bodies naturally.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Disturbing, some fish pick up bad habits of feeding in tanks like that eating dead fish killing each other for food. I would be okay with an oto tank full of algae or other algae eaters. Dead fish in a tank sad them eating each other even sadder.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #20 
xShainax

I worked at a pet store once and one of the tanks was infested with ich. I got in trouble for pointing it out to one of my co-workers
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote