Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Almost every store I go to EXCEPT Big Al's is terrible. ONE PJ's PETS in Kingsway was brilliant, and Big Al's is great. Everywhere else... ESPECIALLY West Edmonton mall's PJ'S PETS is terrible... No, atrocious - no! There is no word to describe the pure disgust of these stores! Filth! Stupidity! Death! Illness! Urg.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #22 
madmonahan

One day I went to walmart to get a thermometer for my tank and when I walked past the fish I litterily almost threw-up! It SMELT ssssoooo bad!!!!!! I gaged and held my breath!!! :(
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Ew. Now I have never been to a Walmart that sells fish. Actually I don't go to Walmart anymore. :)

Now see.. I have quite a few people close here that will help me with my pet store idea. One of the reasons why I will start one in 2-3 years is BECAUSE many stores are terrible.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think betta abuse is part because people think 1year is impressive so everyone abuses them. Well cared for bettas can live rarely ten years. With 5-7 if properly cared for average and 2-3 in bowls average.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

But do remember that Bettas from a pet store tend to only live 3-5 years :) wonky genetics and a bad starting environment! I don't get fish from just any store anymore lol I HAVE to go to Edmonton and the store HAS to be Big Al's. Or my Bettas HAVE to be shipped in I've had Bettas (store or shipped) last 2-7 years :) I do use bowls when needed (moving, water change, or quarantine)

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-28-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pet store bettas are just culls of the more expensive ones they are related. Bad care affects lifespan. Mine is two years old and no signs of aging.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

So your saying all pet stores buy from proper breeders who jus happen to send out baby Bettas (month/ 2 month old) and massive amounts of adult Bettas... Doesn't sound right. The "more expensive" ones you find in most stores are still wholesale. Stores make a killing on these mislabelled Bettas (I have seen "metallic" and "twin tail" labels) because they are "rare" to the general public.

I think I'm going to butt out now
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean Betta breeders breed huge amounts of bettas. Not all of them are show quality. The breeders sell the culls to pet stores .