Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 
bow2darthtater

Question Betta fish pimples?

I have a couple of bettas I got about a month ago, and while one of them is doing great, one seems to have "skin" problems of some sort. First he developed a couple of white bumps on his head that looked almost like pimples. I did some research and thought it might be lymphocystis, but the little bumps never grew. In fact, they just kind of faded away, but one side of his head now has a whitish blotchy look, but doesn't look fuzzy. I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this in their fish before, and have been able to treat it successfully (I haven't used any medications since I don't know what's going on) or if maybe it's just something natural like a person who has blotchy skin. Any input would be appreciated.

Here is the questionnaire if any info helps:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, but the tank light keeps it slightly warmer than the air
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? alternating Omega One and Aqueon pellots, freeze dried bloodworms as weekly treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner and conditioning salt (Top Fin brand, recommended for use together)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? sorry! I don't have any test kits yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? face developed small white bumps which shrunk, betta now appears to have blotchy skin on face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no, he's swimming around like normal, and eats everything I give him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the pimples began two weeks ago (more or less) and lasted about a week before going down and becoming blotchy
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? a little over a month
bow2darthtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 
Tyler

A picture would help alot, if you could.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 
Orito

On a side note...
bow2darthtater, since you don't have a test kit, do you have a local PetSmart? If so, take a sample of your tank water to them, they will test it for free, and give you the results.

Edit:
Also, if it looks like the image below, then it's Ich. It's easy to treat, just go grab an Ich treatment kit, and change your water before (and not during) treatment. Make sure to read the label. Like I said though, only IF it looks similar to the image below.

Last edited by Orito; 08-22-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added edit section.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #4 
bow2darthtater

I'll get one posted tomorrow! It's getting late here and the camera is freaking him out right now...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #5 
bow2darthtater

And Orito- thanks for the tip about PetSmart! I didn't know they'd do that for you.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi, bow2darthtater and welcome to the forum.

He has ich. The white "pimples" you are seeing are the ich parasites. Since you don't have a heater, the best way to treat this is to get a medication like Kordon Rid Ich and use that.

If, however, you do decide to get an adjustable heater, the best way to treat ich is using high heat and aquarium salt at 3 tsps per gallon. Raise the heat to 86 F. Change the water 100% every day and clean the tank well between changes. The salt causes the parasites to fall off and the water changes get rid of them.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought that pic WAS your guy. Orito is correct: if it looks like that pic, it is ich.

What kind of conditioning "salts" are you using?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #7 
bow2darthtater

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I don't really think it was ich, there were only three bumps and they were not scattered all over his body. I can't get a picture, every time I try he gets pale and stress stripey, but I think he's looking closer to normal today.

Since I can't really find anything wrong I definitely won't use any meds in case they do more harm than good, but I'm planning on keeping a close eye on him. If he has trouble again I'll probably make another post, and also if anyone has ever heard of something similar, please update me!

Tags
lymphocystis?, white blotches, white bumps