Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
emily3387

Betta Fish with other Betta Fish

I've had my baby fish riley for over a year and a half, and i was wondering if it would be okay if i got another companion for him and if another betta fish would be okay or if i should get something different. that he won't kill?? help please and thank you!
emily3387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

No he cannot be kept with another betta...
What size tank does he have? Is it heated? Cycled?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

You can't do that unless you do specific requirements. They don't get lonely nor they "Want Friends.". Bettas prefer to be alone and your tank might not be able to have any other fish. Unless it's a girl and then you can have a sorority of 4 but that's for more experienced people.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 
aqua001

How big is your tank? Is it heated? If so, to what temp? What are the water parameters?

Edit:TeenytheBetta and LebrontheBetta, your posts did not show up for me until after I posted. Sorry if I repeated some of the things you said!

Last edited by aqua001; 08-22-2012 at 09:30 PM.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #5 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You can't do that unless you do specific requirements. They don't get lonely nor they "Want Friends.". Bettas prefer to be alone and your tank might not be able to have any other fish. Unless it's a girl and then you can have a sorority of 4 but that's for more experienced people.
1+
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
Jully

No bettas who are males can not live with another male, even a female unless you are planning on breeding but you must have experience, and know what your doing, and taking risk of ripped fins, and fighting and maybe losing your betta if you are going to 'breed.' Anyways that's not the point, only female bettas can live together but that's also with experience, and it's preferred to be with 4 - 6 females or more.

Your betta is happy the way he is, I am sure he doesn't need a companion, if you do want to get a companion I would recommend a snail, depending on how big your tank is, is it cycled, and is it heated? If it's less then 5 gallons I do not recommend getting a companion. Sorry if I am being rude.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jully View Post
No bettas who are males can not live with another male, even a female unless you are planning on breeding but you must have experience, and know what your doing, and taking risk of ripped fins, and fighting and maybe losing your betta if you are going to 'breed.' Anyways that's not the point, only female bettas can live together but that's also with experience, and it's preferred to be with 4 - 6 females or more.

Your betta is happy the way he is, I am sure he doesn't need a companion, if you do want to get a companion I would recommend a snail, depending on how big your tank is, is it cycled, and is it heated? If it's less then 5 gallons I do not recommend getting a companion. Sorry if I am being rude.
I totally agree with you.
Baby bettas are very fragile and have special requirements. You might be able to put him with other types of fish or shrimp/snails when he's older.
Read here: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

No Male Bettas can't live together unless you have a big enough tank to put a diveder in there.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote