Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 
JackisLost

Planted Exo Terra

i've been gathering things since the beginning of this month to set up a new tank. i'll be combining my shrimp tank and my small betta keeper together and to shut them down.

this is what inspired my new set-up

this is my island cut-out

it's a bit crude right now but i'm expecting some plants on monday, as well as my filter. almost time to get my hands wet
i still need to find some rocks to tie my moss to and place it along the island's border for a more natural look. let me know what you guys think
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
laoshun

looks like a great home for shrimp
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #3 
SpookyTooth

I've actually seen some tanks like this, they remind me of paludariums. As long as the Exo Terra is one of the larger ones I don't see any issues at all, the shallow but wide water would be great for a betta (as long as the water is heated of course).

I look forward to seeing where you go with this! It seems like a wonderful project and I wish you all the luck in the world with it!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #4 
MSG

Very interesting, never really seen how a tank like this starts off, but I can see how it requires planning, instead of just tossing a whole bunch of materials and plants in a tank. I know you're going to make it look great. Curious about the amount of time it will take to get it to that point though.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #5 
JackisLost

filled with water and starting to cycle tank, it's still pretty bare and i need to go shopping :) been putting that off for a little while now. expecting plants to arrive on monday, these two plants are from my betta keeper right now.

as of right now, i'm really impressed by the finnex px 360 filter i just began to use today. so much more quiet and so much more capacity than my zoo med 501.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

Can't wait to see more. May I ask: how many gallons (or litres, whichever you prefer to use) can you fit into the Exo Terra?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #7 
Jupiter

That's a really cool idea! I can't wait to see how this progresses...if it works out for you I'd love to try it myself.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #8 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Can't wait to see more. May I ask: how many gallons (or litres, whichever you prefer to use) can you fit into the Exo Terra?
i think it is about 5.75 or 6 gallons, not much. cant wait to put my betta in here but i think i'll leave this running for a month and get some oto fish and put in my shrimp in first, in hopes that my betta wont be territorial and kill everything.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #9 
JackisLost

i forgot to mention, for lighting i am using a marineland double bright from my shrimp tank. since i was lazy and didn't shop for a sheet of acrylic, i had to saran wrap the top of my tank to keep in humidity for my submersed plants to transition to emersed growth
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #10 
SpookyTooth

5 - 6 gallons is pretty good! It's quite surprising just how much water an Exo Terra can hold.