Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 
katydidmischief

New Tank, advice? Tips?

So this is my boy Michael's tank (posted it in the tank thread too), but I'm looking for opinions, advice, etc on things I should do or change.

It's currently cycling, hence the reason he's in his cup; I've added some aquarium salt and a pinch of biozyme as well as the conditioner. There's a thermometer as well as an ammonia monitor, a tetra small filter, and an LED airstone. There's a tiki hut, two live plants, a silk plant, and several decorations.

I am currently lacking a heater, but I will be looking for one in the coming days though since my apartment stays a consistent 75'F so I'm not rushing. Are there any recommendations for one?

The filter is quiet and I've got it set low. Should I surround it with more plants to break up the current further? Michael has been swimming around it in his other tank and doesn't seem to have an issue.

Thanks for any tips! :D
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #2 
clopez1

How are you cycling the tank? Everything looks good..I have the same thermometer in my tank.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
katydidmischief

I was always told that running the tank for several hours to a day pre-fish to allow the bacteria to start growing was cycling. I'm guessing that's not right? :/

And thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #4 
lelei

I have always set up the tank, and let run, as well, before adding fish, 24-48 hrs, but in a "Cycled" tank, they say it takes about 4-6 weeks..Haven't done it that way personally so I am not too sure..there is a sticky on the forum that will help you with that..I do love the tank, and decor..Looks great:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 
clopez1

Bacteria need food to grow..If doing a fishless cycle which could take weeks to months you need ammonia. If not you can do it with the fish just make sure to keep up on water changes to not let the ammonia get too high then you have to worry about the nitrites until the bacteria that turns that to nitrates are there then you wont have to do as many water changes, just enough to keep the nitrates low. I may have the nitrates and nitrites mixed but you can google or search for cycling here and read up all about it.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #6 
katydidmischief

Thank you! I've got a lot of googling ahead of me, I see.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 
clopez1

No problem at all.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #8 
JackisLost

i usually cycle my tanks with the betta. conditioned and clean water and the betta will be healthy while cycling your tank.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I think it looks great I love that hut and palm tree and the led airstone is so pretty love all the colors ! Even if the room temp is 75 that is going to mean the water temp is lower and its good to have a water temp of at least 76 to 78 so I would not not to long to the heater. I and doing a fish in cycle on my 5 gallon tank its starting to get where its almost cycled and its taken almost two months and if you want to one it would be a good idea to get the API freshwater Test Kit to keep up with what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are. There is a good sticky here on it thats real good I will try and find and post it for you or you can find it by doing a search up top of the forum and search for fish in cycle.

You really dont need the AQ salt and most people here say not to use it all cause in the long run it could cause harm to your Betta. Mostly its used for a sick Betta and for only 10 days. I am sure Micheal is going to be very happy in his new tank.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Cycling takes a long time (well, longer than a day anyway)...I'm not sure if I could recommend fish in cycling for a tank of that size.

Otherwise, everything looks good. I really like these heaters, they keep the smaller tanks a nice warm consistent temperature.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote