Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
labloverl

Those with self starting vacuums...

I have a 10 gallon divided 3 ways, and the only way I've found to start it is to stick it straight into the water and suck on the other end. Is there any other way?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 
Seki

I have a gravel vac by Top Fin that has a small ball. I just squeeze it a few times while the nozzle is submerged and voila! suction begins~

It was cheap, too, only $10.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11123493
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

yes there is a way! Here's what i used to do, but now i have the same siphon as the above poster.

here is a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rny12X9KaI
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 
labloverl

Maybe I need a new one then.

The sections in the divided tank are too narrow for the vac to be submerged in, and I believe it is longer than the height of the tank. WHen I just had it divided 2 ways, I could get it submerged to do the 'bobbing up and down technique' in the video, but now that is impossible. I still had to lean the divider over to even get it to fit diagonally in there. And when I have to clean my divided 5 gallon, it will be even harder. I haven't tried the techinique that the person used in the video (waiting until almost all the water ran out) yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #5 
Seki

If it was me, and it was that difficult to clean the tanks, I'd just spring for a new gravel vac. In the long run, another ten bucks is going to buy you a heck of a lot easier tank cleanings. I think you can even order one online if you want to.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 
labloverl

I might just have to. The tube that the water comes out of on my current vac. is pretty nasty now anyways.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

I got mine from walmart in the fish section and you dont have to use your mouth at all. you "pump" it in the water and it flows :)

Here it is.. keep in mind there is a bad review but I found that review completely false. It takes awhile to figure it out at first but after getting used to it it takes 10 seconds max to start up.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...eaner/13424303

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 08-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 
labloverl

I think that's the one I have! Yeah pumping it up and down really works, but I've only done that after the tube has been submerged. Does it work that well when the tube is not filled?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

I have a Marina one that they sell for the 2.65g and 1.5g tanks... I don't really like it. I use the regular vacs, and I suck the water into it to start. I always put my thumb on the end in my mouth so when I see the water is halfway down the tube, I use my thumb to stop the suction and put the end into the bucket and voila. No fish tank water shots for me lol I've been doing this since 2005 though :S
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #10 
goldfishyman

I would just get the one with the siphon bulb. Otherwise just hold both ends of the siphon. Fill with tap water will keep both ends even. Plug output with thumb, drop siphon in tank. Put output in bucket and release thumb. BTW Fish have Herpes virus so not sure you want to catch that. Might not affect you but you might pass it to other fish. So no mouth to siphon. haha.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote